Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Addicted to Cats!!




       Earlier this month a new fur baby joined my menagerie of pets.  My kids and I have a terrible weakness for anything small, soft, and cuddly.  We are addicted!!  Even though I knew without a shadow of a doubt that my husband would blow a blood vessel if I brought home another cat, I defiantly went off and picked up a kitten.  Someone should truly start a furry babies anonymous group with  a fool proof 12 step program for people like me!!


      To be fair, when I had first laid eyes on this precious ball of fur, I barely gave her a second notice because the lady who was giving free kittens away proclaimed her granddaughter had already spoken for her.  Since the rest of the brood were males,  I stuck up my nose at the lot and much to my kids disappointment left the house that day without a new kitten in tow.  I have two female cats already and bringing a male into the house, no matter how small would eventually result in a population explosion of kittens in every nook and cranny.  That was something I wanted to avoid at all costs!!   The lady took my name and number just in case her granddaughter had a change of heart and picked another.  I didn’t think that likely, so I chose to forget about the kitten.
       I was proud of my ability to walk away!!  I felt much the same way a recovering alcoholic feels when they turn away a glass of their favorite poison.  My husband, as always, was on the road working.  I called him up when I got home proclaiming my success at walking away!! Just saying NO!  Instead of being happy, he went ape $hit railing at me!!    How I could even consider looking at another cat as much as he hates them?   

        As fate would have it, the lady called the next day saying her granddaughter had chosen one of the males, and if I would still like the black kitten she was available.  Right before her phone call my husband had telephoned informing me I needed to call about a jeep he had seen for sale in the neighborhood.  Now it was my turn to lose it!!  We needed another vehicle about as much as I needed a hole in my head.  I hung up on him and went and brought home that little kitten then and there!  I would show him!!  After all, I was free, white, and way over 21 and there was going to be no one who was going to tell me what to do!!  Especially some young whipper snapper like him!!  (He is 6 years younger than me for information purposes.)  
          Even though he went ballistic at the time at my audacity, by the time he came home he marched right in and picked up the new kitten and made fast friends with her.  Wonders never cease!!

         She loves to play bite, climb curtains, chase our feet when we walk, and lets loose with a meow the size of an elephant when she wants attention.  Anything on the floor is fair game for adventure and becomes a quick toy.  She is the first cat I have ever seen that loves to burrow deep under the covers in search of warmth.  The new addition has already become a lovable addition to our family’s menagerie of pets and I am so glad I brought her home!  Until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

20 comments:

  1. She's so cute, Kathy :-) My youngest daughter has an incredible weakness for animals. If I'm honest with myself, I do too. We have a little male cat that looks so much like yours. He's a real stinker :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write Kathy!! I like cats, but the hubby and I are very allergic to them. So, we have a dog and I know I wouldn't trade her for anything. Your new little kitty is very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Kathy, you do have great fun with your animals and this new kitten is so cute!!! We enjoyed our little female grey-stripped kitty for 14 years. These pets really make a house a home, don't they? This was another pleasant read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa, thank you for stopping by to read about my furry baby and commenting! Puppies and kitties are simply irresistible and I have a soft heart for both. Probably why we now have 3 dogs and 3 cats. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I am allergic to both cats and dogs, but I love them!! So I take benedryl and handle it! Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty, thank you for stopping by to read and comment!! Yes, my animals are part of the family and it wouldn't be home if they weren't here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caroline, thank you!! I do too!! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *cackle* My hubby is 8 years younger than I for informational purposes, and the first time he ever came to my apartment he was met at the door by my twenty some cats purring and caressing his ankles. He looked down and said "I hate cats." I shrugged and said "We may have a problem".

    That was 21 years ago. We're still together. We still have a cat (just one now) and he's teasingly known as the kitten whisperer for his ability to get any kitten, no matter how feral, to come to him for tummy rubs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Summer, that is too funny!! Men, they all just want to show who wears the pants in the family. When it comes right down to it, we ladies do because we get our way!! They tolerate out cats because deep down, they can't live without us. LOLOLOL Love me, love my cat! Thanks for stopping by to read and put in your two cents. I loved your story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear Kathy!! Another cat?? I can't imagine. I think we are a one pet family. We've had one dog for 15.5 years. He's hanging in there. He would not tolerate another dog or cat--so we will get either a cat or a dog or both when he goes. That said--make sure to spay or neuter those cats--just incase they escape for awhile-you surely don't need a whole house full of them!

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenn, LOL that is why I have all female cats and they stay in the house. Both male dogs are neutered. So no puppies either. There always seems room for another, although at this I feel we are at our maximum. LOL Thanks for stopping by to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute kitty! I know what you mean about being in love with your kitty cat.. i take too many pictures of mine lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jodi, thanks for stopping by to check out my new kitten! I know, I couldn't resist her. I love the way she meows when she wants attention, arches her back, sticks her tail straight in the air and marches toward me purring as loud as she is able!! You got to love cats!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I know! I have six pets now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen, It is so easy to accumulate them, especially when they are Sooooo cute!! Thank you for stopping in to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Divalounger, isn't she a sweetie!! Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Georgeta, thank you for stopping in!! She is a pretty little thing. :D

    ReplyDelete