Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I Had a Dream- BFF 158

     It was late. I burrowed into the blankets pulling them  around my face. The dogs scrambled onto the bed and dove under the covers finding a place snuggled against me to sleep for the night. We were all searching for warmth. I hadn’t felt tired, but now that I was all toasty and warm it seemed natural to fall asleep.


    
       As I closed my eyes I said my prayers silently to myself and then reflected on the day’s events. I reflected on the fact that my daughter’s eyes were to the point where she needed glasses. Like her dad and I before her, she too would need to be tested. Without a doubt in my mind I knew, she would need glasses. The headaches had begun. Her eyes only seemed to bother her while she read, so at this point the reading glasses from the dollar store would suffice. With the easy purchase of the reading glasses the headaches had vanished for the time being.


     At some point in the night I found myself in the place where I had grown up. I drove my car into the driveway and parked. The house stood presumably empty. Still, I felt drawn to it. It was the house my parents shared their lives, the place I had grown up, and the home where I had returned to celebrate every holiday. It stood alone and beckoned me. No one lived there anymore, or would again.


,


     I unlocked the door and stepped inside. The house was cold, empty, and devoid of emotion. I stepped into the front hall way and gazed into the empty living room visualizing exactly how it had once appeared with everything in its place. My heart sank as I realized they weren’t there, and would never be again. I was enveloped in sadness. I made my tour through the house gazing dejectedly into the kitchen and then moved onto the bedrooms.   
     
      As I rounded the corner, I smelled cigarette smoke and seen a soft glow at the end of the hallway. My heart leaped in my chest, and my breath caught. I heard someone moving about in their bedroom. As I approached their room, terror seized me. Who was here?? I was not alone!! I knew I should leave and quickly, but my curiosity wouldn’t allow me to. I had to see what or who was in their room. The furniture was long gone, and the light seemed to be coming from something close to the window. Whether it was a sinister force remained to be seen. I crept closer trying to see the source of the light. The light took the form of a menacing ghostly apparition. 


       Exhibiting bravery I no longer felt I marched into the center of the room prepared to take the intruder on for better or for worse.  All of a sudden the light sped toward me. I turned tail and ran for the front door desperate to get away. Gripped with terror, I ran as if the hounds of hell were after me.   I raced screaming into the darkness of the abyss that swallowed me with the pounding footsteps matching my heart beat pounding in my head.  Suddenly,  I was covered in sweat and frantically struggling against the confines of the covers. The dogs all began barking at once and I sat bolt upright in the bed.  I had a dream. As my heart and breathing raced and I struggled to calm myself I kept telling myself it was only a dream. It had been so real!! I turned on the light, still shaken by the images from the dream. What did it all mean? Even as I sat there and comforted the dogs, memories of the dream escaped me. Before long, I no longer could remember what it was all about.  All I know is that it scared the living be Je$u$ out of me. It was still the center of the night. I had never left the comfort of my bed. As I became more awake, the memories of the dream faded. Not taking any chances, I grabbed the Danielle Steel book on my nightstand and quickly lost myself within its pages.


       It is weird how dreams can quickly take on a life of their own, terrify us, and then just as quickly be forgotten.  Thankfully dreams that come to us when we are fast asleep are simply that, and that is all I have to say until the next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker's wife.

6 comments:

  1. Well, I say, "no more whatever you ate before bed that night"! It's a great story but an awful dream.
    Wishing you sweeter dreams from here on. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kathy, this was a great story! Your writing is so expressive -- had to read every word. I'm sorry that it was such an awful dream, but it was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After posting this topic for TGI Friday, I couldn't find my muse again. After reading this, I may share some of my recent dreams, which seem to be getting more weird than usual.

    Can you run in your dreams? I can neither run or scream, but I fly well....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, although I have had nightmares similar to this, this was an attempt at writing fiction. So glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the wish for sweet dreams and for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betty, I am so pleased you enjoyed my story. It was the first time I have allowed myself to get a little creative here. Thanks for stopping in to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darlene, I have run in my dreams before. Don't believe I have ever flown unless it was over a cliff. LOL Thanks for stopping by and for the inspiration to get a little creative!

    ReplyDelete