Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Time


     My husband finds in his job there is a lot of hurry up and wait involved. Hurry up and get where you are going and then wait, wait, wait once you get there. We rush to be on time for a doctor’s appointment only to wait once we get there to be called back to the exam room. Then we wait a little longer for the doctor to show up. If you still are sick by the time the doctor shows up you really were in need of the doctor after all. It wasn’t just some fart cross wise that could have passed at home without costing you a dime. Doesn’t really matter what you hurry for, inevitably once you get there you are going to have to wait. It must be some kind of sick Murphy’s Law designed to grate on the nerves of those in a hurry.

     We schedule our lives whether it is around a work schedule, school schedule, or the passage of the seasons. We can’t get away from the passage of time. The seconds, minutes, hours, and years continue to tick by. Even if you don’t work, you are on a time table. You make sure to eat at the same time everyday, you go to bed at roughly the same time, and when your television shows are on you make sure you are situated on the couch ready to watch or the DVR is set to record.

     I have learned several truths about time over the course of my life. Time heals most wounds-physical or mental. You never forget, but time makes the pain a little less brutal fading as time passes. We hurry up and wait more than we do anything else. For those that are rarely on time, rushing in at the last possible second is as normal as breathing in and out. Still others would have a complete conniption if they weren’t on time if not early. Time waits for no one, and one can only keep going forward and can never go back.


      Is that reflection I see in the mirror really me? Time has made its adjustments. Although my hair is still brown, a few grey hairs are evident now. Although I am still short, the middle age spread that plagues most plagues me too. I am not as young as I once was. Time has taken its toll as it does on everyone. From the moment we are born, we are constantly aging and nothing is under warranty. Eventually all our parts do wear out.

     With the passage of time, experience is gained making us a little more knowledgeable and at times a tad cockier. We acquire a certain amount of self entitlement and our ability to sit back and take $hit becomes next to impossible. The older people get the bitchier they become. Why? Because they have lived longer and feel with the more years they have lived the more they deserve to have everyone else kiss their a$$es and listen to what they have to say. The older people get the more likely they will be plagued with a hell of a lot more aches and pains than they endured in their youth.

     Regardless how much time each of us spend on the miraculous merry-go-round of life eventually we all get kicked off and get to soar off into the abyss and the here after. The expression being their time is now up. They accomplished all they were meant to. What about those who die suddenly? Did they have enough time here?? Obviously G0d figured their brief life served some purpose and their job here was done. There is a time to be born, a time to live, and a time to die. After we are dead and gone, those that remain will continue to measure our lives and deaths in terms of time. Time is a measurement of life, and as precious as life is, the time we have and the time we give is the most precious of all until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

18 comments:

  1. Very thought provoking. And I am thinking about that older, crankier part. Don't plan to be that, but I do see it now and then. I work diligently toward NOT being cranky, but I admit, sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the "older people"... I resemble those remarks... LOL

    I am rarely ever cranky, but if I am, it's someone else's fault. <--- hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I know for certain is that time is always ticking--moving forward. It never looks back.

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, I try to be cranky too but sure seen it a lot in my grandparents and other older folks. Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darlene, LOL and that is why I love you!! Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn, you can sure say that again!! Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well yes, there is always the proper time for a certain activity, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I used to be a lot bitchier when I was younger! Now, being one of the 'oldies', I tend to think life's too short for unpleasantness, so live and let live! Oh, and I don't have too many aches and pains either - at least, not yet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claudia, thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paula, I wish my mother's parents would have had your outlook. They got down right mean towards the end of their lives. I never did understand it. I agree with you about being happy, and living and let live. Most of the time events are out of your control anyways. I have met a lot of nice older people in my time too and I shouldn't have focused on specific cases. I notice that I am nicer and more laid back as I age too. Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh heck, I'm sorry Kathy, but I kinda got hung up on the 'fart crosswise' comment and haven't stopped laughing since! I've never heard that expression and I don't think I'll forget it in a hurry *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the lines "Time waits for no one, and one can only keep going forward and can never go back.". That is just so true.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so the moral.......yup DON"T RUSH. Funny...hehe i put my feet up, lap top on my legs to get ready to read yours, LOVE spending time with your writing :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaah, wouldn't it be grand to have the time and experience we have now, with the bods we had some years ago? Oh well, time does move on - in a good way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mojo, I am glad you got a laugh about it. My mom always used to come up with that whenever I wanted to stay home from school sick. LOLOLOL She said I had I-rectumitis. LOL Thanks for stopping by to read and comment

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suzy, thank you for stopping by to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brenda, I am so pleased you stopped by and enjoyed what you found here. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beverly, if I would have knew then what I know now and have the body I had then now...life would be grand indeed!

    ReplyDelete