Monday, February 13, 2012

Redo? - Hit the Rewind Button


     Over the course of my life I have often wished I could go back and redo some things.  If I had the chance I would have reacted differently, and maybe taken my head out of my a$$ long enough to contemplate the big picture before I acted or opened my mouth.  If only I could have just calmed down and relaxed a little about life while living it!


      Ultimately, the downfall of life is there is no rewind button. We go through life doing the best we can.  We try, fail, and try again.  No one is perfect and we all are capable of mistakes.  The beauty of mistakes is our ability to learn from them and come out the other end better and smarter people for it.   Some of my stupidest mistakes have made for the best and funniest stories.  Who wouldn’t want to redo that moment when you had your head up you’re a$$ and backed into that other person’s car at Target?  Who wouldn’t have wanted to have removed your head from you’re a$$ before you ran head long into the men’s room with a camera sporting a zoom lens?  Who wouldn’t want to redo that moment when you realized you locked your keys in your car?  Who wouldn’t want to go back and choose NOT to wear that outfit with the zipper from neck to crotch that slid painstakingly all the way down in front of a classroom of people?  There are millions of little “Oh $hit” moments that could stand a wave of the re do wand.  The thing is, once it is out there and done, there is no going back.   




        For instance, if I could go back and do things over I would have never got married at the tender age of 20.  I would have waited until the love of my life came along when I was 28 and married once, for forever.   I would have never quit college. I would have stayed, stuck it out, and got my degree then and there.  G0d only knows what I would have done with it if I had it, but at least I would have completed it, and have it to my credit to flaunt.  It doesn’t really matter a tinkers damn that I went to college now since I never got the degree.  It is like time wasted.  I can already imagine many of you in the peanut gallery proclaiming I can always go back.  This may be true, but at this point in my life my biggest question would be “WHY?”  It seems like a waste of time and money.  I am past the point of wanting to please a teacher for a grade in the hopes I might learn something.  I would rather please a boss and earn money if a job was to be had, and better yet please myself.  At this point my hopes are for my children and their bright futures and helping them find happiness.  My time has passed. I know I sound like I am 105 at 43, but there just aren’t funds for everyone to have a dream.  


       If I could do things differently I would have tried to nurture friendships in school which could have lasted throughout my life. Other people did it.  I might have been able to do it too.  That is not saying that I would want to be stuck in “high school” forever with the same people, different day.  Still, some bosom friends that have seen me through thick and thin, sick and sin, throughout the highs and lows of life would have been nice.   I shouldn’t have walked away from high school without looking back at the folks I left behind.  I always kept to myself holding others at arms length in high school.  At the time I felt those folks had 4 years to get to know me and be friends.  They had plenty of time.   If I could do that over I would have not got hung up panting after one idiot but would have realized that life was a lot bigger and lasts a lot longer than high school. It was not the end all or be all of life.  Sure there were those select few that married their high school sweethearts but most people found their true loves later in life elsewhere.
                
     Although I would love to redo some things, I can’t.  Without the broken road of life I have traveled I wouldn't know or appreciate where I am today and how I got to this point.  No redo needed for this girl, I am good.   So that is my take on redoing things, no matter how many times I rewrite it, or slice it until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

27 comments:

  1. One of my favorite songs there Kathy! :-)

    Hindsight, is just that... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you, but I would have missed the love of my live if I hadn't been side tracked by bad choices. Rob was too damned cocky at twenty and I was too shy. So, all things in good time.

    Saw a childs yellow dumptruck strapped to the empty bed of a semi. Cracked me up. I thought, that's a proud dad, and I thought of you. Have a great day -kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. There are a lot of things I'd like to redo in my life. I've been told that a many kids in my high school class became a lot closer the Senior year. I missed it by graduating early and going to college. I've wondered if I would have those close knit high school friends had I not skipped out on them, but then I wonder if I still would have met my husband, had my kids, and the whole other chain of events that followed my graduating early... so, maybe a redo should be a redon't.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few closer friends throughout life - I agree would have been nice for me too, however I wonder if I would cherish the (Very) few that I give that title to if there were more. Great post adn a great outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very wise my young friend! lol No re-do, do-overs or rewinds are needed. You are just perfect right where you are and being who you are.
    History=Today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah. I've had plenty of head up my a$$ moments. .... And life goes on....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of the "oh shit" moments made me giggle. nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think what you mentioned at the end is the most important--without the parts of our past that we would want to do over--we wouldn't grow and learn and eventually become the person we are today.

    Nice post. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. November Rain, it is one of my favorites too! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gene Pool Diva, I agree with you. I wouldn't have wanted to face life without my husband. If things had happened differently I might not have ever met him. That is funny about the dump truck. LOL Thanks for stopping by, for thinking of me, and your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce, everything happens for a reason and your life, like mine is probably just as it should be. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, you bring up a valid point. My guess would be that you probably would because your closest dearest friends would still probably be in that distinction because they are who they are. Thank you for stopping by to read and to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jo, you always say the sweetest things!! Thanks for stopping by and as always...making my day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Danneromero, LOL I think my head is permanently attached there sometimes. Makes me wonder how I breathe. Maybe I am like a turtle. LOLOLOL You said it best...life goes on. Thank you for stopping in to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suzy, I could write a whole website simply on Oh $hit moments. That is how many I honestly have of them. I wouldn't be me if I didn't. That is why I giggle to much...too many oh $hit moments clogging the brain. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenn, I think that is the most important part too!! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I think almost everyone on the planet would like to redo high school. The rest of your life is what's important and going on from here. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You made me think of one of my mistakes. I was in a parking garage, and a friend of mine was ahead of me, driving his bmw fast around the corners, I decided to stay on his ass all the way down but he stopped at the end and I didn't. Fortunately I was quick on the brake and did no damage but I did tap him into the intersection and it could have been a bad scene had any traffic been there. Guess what, I don't go racing down parking garages anymore!!! Thanks for the drive down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kay, Holy crap! I bet that scared the be Je$u$ out of you. Thank goodness you were on your toes and punched the brakes!! Funny how we learn things from moments like that! I bet you will never go that fast in a parking garage again!! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. pbquib, if we all just knew in high school that it wasn't that big of a deal it would go by so much better!! It is such a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of your life! You hit the nail on the head with your comment that the rest of your life is what is really important. High school is a brief stepping stone. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your sense of humor and your outlook on life. I wouldn't do high school over if I could. Most of my high school years were horrible and if they hadn't of been I probably wouldn't have moved the day after graduation and met my husband! No do overs for me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. KAT, To be honest I wouldn't do high school again either. It was bad enough the first time around. I just wish I would have walked away with more close friends from the ordeal. I am with you on the no do overs, because if life hadn't happened the way it did I wouldn't be where I am right now. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hang on... hold on a cotton-picking minute there... What was THIS?? - Who wouldn’t have wanted to have removed your head from you’re a$$ before you ran head long into the men’s room with a camera sporting a zoom lens? - I insist upon knowing more!! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mojo Writing, Oh hell. LOL That was one of my more shining moments. I took a photography class in high school and I was assigned to do a photo essay. My mom and I went to St. Louis, MO to see the Oak Ridge Boys at the Fox Theater there. It is really an ornate, beautiful place so I figured I would be able to get some good shots. I had this camera with a humongous telephoto lens and was snapping away. Anyways the warning sounded for the curtain call and we had seats in the orchestra pit which was at the bottom. I kept running down the stairs and went down one to many flights and ended up smack dab in the middle of the men's restroom surrounded by men with all they hold dear hanging in the urinals at full stream. One dude yelled out..."We all know what you are here for!!!" I was so mortified! I back tracked the hell out of there in a big hurry. Once I got to my seat and after I had men coming up to me telling me they had seen me in the men's restroom and wondering if I got any good shots! It was especially funny because I met two guys I knew who gave me some pretty wild looks as I raced past them into the mens room as they were leaving. OH boy. Now you know!! If I hadn't had my head up my a$$ I would never have went in THERE! LOLOLOL Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow! I'm just hysterical here. I can see it all ... as could you! Brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mojo, Ah yes! My little visit to the men's room became the stuff of legend and the ones that knew about it, and especially the guys that passed me on my mad dash in never let me live it down. You just got to laugh about it. I didn't have the presence of mind to take any pictures in the bathroom, I was to busy trying to get the hell out of there. LOLOLOLOLOL I think I was about 17 when I did that.

      Delete
  26. The fact that you're happy says to me that the road leading here was the right one for you, no matter how twisty and rocky it might have felt at times. :O)

    ReplyDelete