Friday, June 22, 2012

I Blog Because…. BFF 204


      I blog because I can, and I don‘t have to work at it.  The words flow from somewhere, and everything some how falls into place.  That is the best part.  You couldn’t get much simpler than that.  I wouldn’t have to.  I never aspired to be a writer while growing up and surely didn’t do it for fun then.  I don’t aspire to write books.  I don’t imagine myself to be particularly good at it.  I just know that the words flow from somewhere and I type them out.  Before I know it I have a blog.  I edit the hell out of it because I am a perfectionist that way.  I always have been.  Once I am happy with the words, pictures, and music I unleash it to the world.  I never put up something I feel is half a$$ed.  Before I hit publish, I am pleased with my effort or I delete it.


      Back in 2009 I was surfing the internet looking for a way to make a little money from home.  That in itself is a laugh.  In my experience, there isn’t a lot of money to be made from home doing anything, let alone writing.  There are no get rich quick schemes, just a lot of slimy people running a good scam.  Still somewhere along the line I must have filled out something because the next thing I knew this company called me up and asked me to write reviews for them.  They would pay me $5.00 a pop. 


         There is always a catch though.  I had to pay them $200.00 to set me up with a website.  At the time I wasn’t even sure I could write.  I thought what the hell, why not?  My husband told me to go for it and I did.  What did I really have to lose aside from the initial $200.00?  So away I went.  They were kind enough to teach me the ropes and over the years I learned a lot and made my money back and then some.  By August 2011, the company that got me started went belly up.  I was left with a website I could no longer update. 


         By then I had been bitten by the writer’s bug.  I grabbed a free blogger site and designed it from scratch and kept on writing away.    Writing gave me purpose.  It helped the 3-6 weeks my husband spent on the road pass more quickly.  It helped me vent.  It helped me stay sane.  Through it I met some amazing people who also wrote online and they became friends.




        Why do I blog?  That is a very good question and not one I really ever think about.  I surely wouldn’t have too.  At this point I do it because I like to.  I enjoy putting the graphics, music, and words together.  It is fun.  It is a hobby and it is an added bonus when folks drop by to read and let me know they have been here with their comments.   It is a little like having a virtual open house all the time.  Folks come on over to my little home on the internet, read my words, jam to my tunes, and hopefully enjoy what they find.  If I am lucky my words move them, or at least make them giggle.  The best part is I don’t have to dress up for company or even have the house in order.  I never have to leave my house, only fire up my computer. 


      
       I have no illusions that I am more special than anyone else or that anyone in the free world would give a rat’s a$$ about what I have to say.  I don’t claim to be another Danielle Steel or Stephen King.  I am just me.  What you see is what you get basically. I write what I think.  I love participating in the writing challenges put up by the groups I belong to. It is fun.  I love the interaction and reading what others come up with for the same challenge.  It is like being apart of a club.  Everyone gets together to encourage everyone else and have fun at the same time.  When you get down to brass tacks, I write to express myself until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.


24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. AguiLeon, thank you for stopping in to read and for your two cents!! So nice to have you here!

      Delete
  2. I for one am so glad that you do blog! You have quality content, full of depth and sincerity. I always know I am in for a good read when I click on your page - keep up the great work - your followers appreciate your ability and honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, you are so kind!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments. It means a great deal to me that you feel that way and I am thrilled to my toes that you enjoy reading what I write. I am always happy to see you when you stop by.

      Delete
  3. Really good response to the prompt. I think many of us share a great deal of your thoughts. I know that the friendships I have made here are a gigantic part, but I also think just emptying my head of thoughts and ideas is important. Knowing someone thinks what I wrote was either well written, or well thought out, or funny, or sad and moving or whatever emotion or comment they share makes it mean more to me, but I wrote before I had a blog and I would write if I closed up shop on my current blog. I write a blog because I have to write and this is a fun place to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, it is a fun place to do it! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments! I am so blessed to have you for a friend!

      Delete
  4. I love dropping by your home on the internet for a little visit and convo. I'm glad you enjoy writing so much because you certainly are entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene, I am so pleased you stopped by and enjoy what I write. You made me grin like a happy fool to think you feel I am entertaining. I sure have one hell of a good time, sometimes more fun than I should! Thank you for your kind comments!!

      Delete
  5. A very nice informational blog.Keep on making such important blog post.Your work is really being appreciated by some one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Internet, thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments. I am so pleased you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. I started blogging as a personal challenge. Never did I think I would still be doing it a year later. Like you, I don't aspire to write books or to be an editor or author or anything along those lines. I blog for my own personal gratification. I have met some amazing fellow bloggers (you being one of them). I have never before met such kind hearted people willing to offer their help and be supportive before. It is truly a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bodacious, it is a great experience and very addictive! Before I started doing this I didn't even know what blogging was! Thank you for stopping by to read, comment, and share your own personal experiences with blogging.

      Delete
  7. All great reasons to blog. Especially the act that the words just come to you; your posts are always cohesive and glad that you do rework them. I think too many bloggers just put up the first words that come to mind that can bee too much of a rough draft which makes for rough reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! I can always tell when I read something someone just slapped up there. Sometimes it is so obvious!! :D

      Delete
  8. Love blogging too b/c it's an outlet for me!! And some of my friends and family aren't on Facebook so it's a good way for them to keep up w/ what I've been up to. I started my blog originally as a fan site for Vincent D'Onofrio but my fellow 'Vincent Vixen' fans do a much better job so I shifted my blog to my life and stuff. :) It's a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, it is a lot of fun and I love visiting your site with all your amazing photos and craft projects. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!

      Delete
  9. Your story is very similar to mine in many ways. I too started blogging in 2009 after seeing a "make money blogging" ad. I discovered right away that I didn't have to pay anyone to do it. More than that, I discovered it was a great way to write and actually have somebody read it. I'm not making money blogging yet, but who knows where my writing could take me.

    I enjoyed this post and discovering the common bond.


    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlee, I am so pleased you stopped by. Amazing how we both began writing online in 2009! I think that is the best part...having the interaction with others and getting feedback on what you wrote. It is like having an ongoing conversation with those that feel compelled to chime in. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  10. I really enjoy blogging because it helps me to find, and keep, my voice. I belong to an extended family among whom I've always had to watch every little word I said, and, happily, they have no interest in reading my blog, so I express myself freely.

    Thank you for sharing your feelings and life so honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Maggie's Farm, how cool that you were able to find your own place in the world through your writing. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!

      Delete
  11. I've been having some real computer issues today, so if this is a repeat, please forgive me. I said (a few times, now...lol) that I enjoy blogging because it's helped me to discover, accept, and share, my AUTHENTIC voice, not the one I've used to try to 'fit in' with a family, however loving, that is somewhat judgemental. They don't seem to be interested in reading my blog, so I have taken the opportunity to be .....ME.
    Thank you so much for sharing your own thoughts, honestly and kindly,
    Best Regards--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Maggie's Farm, they are missing out! I have visited your blog and it is a real gem! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment on mine! I am so pleased you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  12. your blog is honest, and fun, kathy... i always enjoy the pictures you include with your posts....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danneromero, I am so pleased you enjoy visiting, reading, and seeing the pictures I choose. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments!

      Delete