Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Hidden Room- BFF 216 and GBE2

This is a fictional story I wrote for the BFF and GBE2 writing prompts.  


       After a summer of laughter and hearing my kids bickering back and forth the house was silent as a tomb after they left for school.  All three dogs wasting no time crawling up onto the couch and falling fast asleep.  I glanced longingly at my computer but knew if I didn’t stick with my plan to clean out my closet it wouldn’t get done.  I would get caught up writing, reading, and playing games and before long most of the day would be shot.  



       My habit has always been to throw anything and everything on the floor of my closet and shut the door.  Out of sight out of mind is my motto.  Occasionally I would sort it and then throw it back in neater stacks.  The result was always the same.  Before too much time had passed chaos reigned and I couldn’t find anything.  My clothes never stayed on the hangers and never stayed in stacks no matter how good my intentions.  There was no better time than the present to dig through the pile, sort the summer clothes from the winter and get organized.  I pulled articles of clothing out one by one and started dividing them into the seasons when I would wear them and a special pile of the clothes that I no longer could get into anymore.  Those would have to go.    Finally the closet was bare and my bed was full.  



       Towards the back of the closet the carpet was pushed up.  I had never noticed it before and went to investigate.  As I pushed the carpet back down I realized there was something underneath it.  Curious I pulled the carpet back and discovered the outline of a trap door.  My breath caught.  Where did it lead??  What could be inside?    With excitement I pulled the carpet up farther to reveal a handle.  I pulled on the handle hard.  It wouldn’t budge. Upon further investigation I discovered that there was a slider lock on the door similar to one you would find in a public restroom.  I slid the bar over and pulled the door again and it opened with a creak.






       The dark gaping hole in the floor revealed stairs.   I hurried out to the kitchen, grabbed a flashlight, and ran hell bent for election back to the closet.  I flipped on the switch and pointed it down into the dark abyss below and was rewarded with glimpses of steps leading down into the darkness.   Cautiously I started down letting the beam of light precede me.  The air was cool as I descended into the unknown. 



         The room I discovered was half the size of the bedroom I had come from.  The floor and walls appeared to be cement.  At the far end of the room I seen a glowing light.  Mesmerized I walked toward it.  As I came closer, the light grew brighter.  As I passed through I was astonished to discover I was outside.  All reason told me I should be in my yard but this place didn’t look like my yard.  It wasn’t long before I realized I wasn’t alone.  Standing just up ahead was my mother. It couldn’t be though.  My heart caught in my throat as she turned and smiled at me. Confused I looked back the way I had come.  She came to me and embraced me smiling. “What is this place? Am I dreaming, or am I dead? I must be because you are dead!!”  I was getting more freaked out by the minute. 


       “You are not crazy.” she said happily.  “This room is magical.  Whatever your heart wants most you will find here.”  It didn’t make sense. I wanted it to be real.  I rushed forward and hugged my mother.   “Is dad here too?”  I thought to myself or asked aloud, I am not quite sure, and almost instantly he appeared.  My mom smiled again. “Whatever you want the room will provide.  If you think it, it will be.”   “Holy $hit! This is huge!” I exclaimed as they joined me in a fit of giggles.

 
    The room provided comfortable outdoor furniture and after hugging my dad, we sat down.    With tears in my eyes and joy in my heart, I told them both how much I had missed them and about everything that had happened since I had seen them last: all about my children, my pets, and my husband.  I didn’t want to leave the room or them, but time was ticking on.     I could hear the dogs barking in the distance and knew it was time to go.  I took the flashlight and climbed the stairs back into the closet looking back at the glimmer of light as I went wondering if they would be there if I explored the room again or if I would find something else entirely different.



       The clock on my bedside table confirmed I had been inside the room most of the day.  I went about my task sorting clothes and putting them in their place careful to leave the trap door exposed.  In the darkness a glimmer of light could be seen at the back of the closet.   My heart gladdened to know they had never truly ever left me, and when I needed them most I need only open my closet door and follow the light until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

30 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful hidden room! Wow, wouldn't that be awesome to have one like that? Great job, Kathy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I would love to have a hidden room like this than transformed on whatever you most wanted at the time. If you think it, it will be it!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. Nice story, Kathy! I love your idea and would love to have a room like that to visit with my Dad ♥.
    Nice job and Pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beachlover, I am so pleased you enjoyed my story!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. You really had me going! I thought at first you really had found a hidden door in the closet until I read the rest of the story. Great job Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KAT, then I did my job well in making it believable! YAY! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. Great job Kathy!!! I would love to have a hidden door like the one you described. You did a nice job bringing your story full circle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, oh thank you!! I almost thought about the room being a kind of time machine. You think it and then you are there back in time, but then while writing the actual piece took this turn. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments my dear friend!! ♥

      Delete
  5. Hi Kathy - Thought I would drop you a quick note to say I was here! Regards from a cold South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lanthie, hello! Thank you for stopping by and for the quick note. It is wonderful to see you! ♥

      Delete
  6. That was a killer story Kathy!!! I loved it!!!! Reminded me of the Mirror of Erised from Harry Potter...your heart's desire. :) I wonder what would be in that room were I to find it? Whatever my heart wants most. Hmm. I have that now in my real life. Maybe it'd be full of beautiful glass, marbles, treasure and arrowheads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I am so pleased you enjoyed it!! You never know what you might find in your own special room. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. I love this story idea, Kathy. You have a great imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly Jo, I am so pleased you enjoyed my story! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. WOW! Great story, Kathy!!! I love it! How wonderful would it be to really have such a room? I would clean my closet for one last visit with my parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene, I would love to actually have such a room!! It would have been so cool if my kids could have had the opportunity to have gotten to know my parents. I bet everyone could find use for a room like this!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! I am so pleased you enjoyed my story.

      Delete
  9. Another great story, Kathy. You held my interest all the way through. Who wouldn't want to retreat to a magical room like that? Good job, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I am so pleased you enjoyed my story. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  10. We all need a room like that. Come to think of it, we all have one. Those we love are always with us, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word Nerd, I believe you are right. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!♥

      Delete
  11. I love the concept of a hidden room...But we all have them in our minds - places where we can go in to and reconnect with the past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne, unless dementia or Alzheimer's invades we all have hidden rooms in our minds and in our hearts for those we love most and our deepest darkest secrets. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  12. WOW you found the secret place.."prayer closet" where truth is revealed once we "be still" clear the clutter out of our lives....i know that place!! :0) ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. drchoneydewcrm, I wish I really had a room like this!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!!!

      Delete
  13. Yes, we should all have such a room. While I know that we have one in our hearts and minds if we are open to it, the physical realization of that would be wonderful!

    Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, as much as I know that my mom and dad will always be in my mind and heart I still would love to have that physical contact where they actually talked back to me. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! I am so pleased you enjoyed my story! ♥

      Delete
  14. Magical! I think I should clean my closet too! What a warm loving story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoenixritu, if there was something like that at the bottom of the hell hole that is my closet I might just be motivated to really clean it and keep it straightened up!! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments. I am so pleased you enjoyed my story! ♥

      Delete
  15. I'd love to visit that room.


    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2012/08/gbe2-two-perspectives-of-my-mob-story.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, if only there really was such a room. Wouldn't that be great?? Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete