Friday, November 2, 2012

Home Sweet Home

      NaBloPoMo asks:
  If I could live anywhere, where would it be? 


      Although there are lots of places I would love to visit, there is no sure guarantee I would really want to live there.  When I was a teenager, all I wanted to do was move to Nashville, Tennessee and start my life.  I graduated from high school and the following August, I moved to Nashville and became a resident in one of the dorms at Belmont University.  Once I got there, I realized a very important truth about myself.  While I loved visiting Nashville, if my folks weren’t there I really didn’t want to be there either.

 
 

       They say home is where your heart is, and all those years ago I realized that was the case with me.  As long as I have my husband, kids, and pets I could live anywhere.  Without my little family, it wouldn’t matter how beautiful the scenery, it just would never be home.


 


       I could say I would love to live in a sprawling castle in Scotland or in the picturesque countryside that surrounds London, but would I be happy?  I could say that I would give anything to live by the ocean, but after seeing the destruction of the recent hurricane, would I really want to live with that possible threat hanging in the air ?  I may discover that while it was a nice place to visit, I wouldn’t really want to live there.  Since I have a snowball’s chance in hell of living anywhere else besides where I am right now, I will be content right where I am at. 














      After all there is no place like home until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

20 comments:

  1. You are right...home is where the heart is... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, so pleased you agree! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. I was lucky enough to get to live my dream on the west coast for 2 decades. If I could move anywhere it'd be to Victoria BC though. I hear it's kinda hard to move up to Canada though, without wealth, a job or if you're not a student. Home is definitely wherever I am with my love and our doggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, Very cool that you got to live the dream! Money always helps with everything. My mom always used to say "Money talks and bullshit walks!" No truer words to live by. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. I agree with the family making it home sweet home...but I'd be in Arizona living now if I could get Momma to go with us. I love everything about Arizona and I could leave Michigan in a New York minute to avoid another winter here. My family won't go and I am okay with each of them having their own choices to make, but I will one day be where it's warmer all year...no more northern winters will make my home sweet home so much sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, One day maybe you will get there. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. I've always been the "bloom where you're planted" kinda' girl and with all of my kids in Michigan, I'm pretty much anchored here, however, when the day comes that all of them decide to scatter, all bets are off and I'm heading to Alaska! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, now that would be an adventure!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!

      Delete
  5. Yes, home is where the heart is, isn't it?! I should remember that.
    ~Laine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, you said it!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  6. I've often fancied a castle in Scotland, too, Kathy. I'm already in the country, but my home is a modest, cosy flat in a small town on the coast. I've lived in other places but always seem to gravitate back here. Home is, indeed, where the heart is. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, that sounds absolutely lovely!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!

      Delete
  7. I used to think I'd like to live somewhere more interesting (ie warm). But there have been so many natural disasters over the last decade that I'm glad I live somewhere where that isn't really a concern. Like you said, I can always visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Azara, that is what puts me off too! Like you, I figure there is always an option to visit. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!!

      Delete
  8. I think I'd live back in London, as much as I love my little home town in North West England...I miss the city so much! I'm finding it hard to adjust to being away from it...and I really hope one day I can live there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loki-Lou, I can only imagine! London would be such an exciting place to be! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Corinne, :D Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  10. Very true indeed! I am the same way ... after traveling to many places, my heart is where my family is. As long as I am with them, any place is a home. Though, someday, I may convince my husband to move to Switzerland. I love that country :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journey of Life, I figured out that important truth after we moved to the house we are living at now a little over 3 years ago. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete