Friday, November 9, 2012

The Keys

The following is my submission to the Writer's Post Blog Hop's picture prompt.
 
       My fingers gently rested upon the keys.  I turned the page and began.  The music flowed from my fingertips as they danced across the ebony and ivory.  The music rose, the tempo accelerated, and with it, my heart swelled.  My soul glided with each bar of music and it was then I was lost.  The world around me ceased to exist.  My problems drifted away.  All that mattered was the passion I felt as I created and brought to life the notes on the page.  I played concentrating on the notes before me.  My hands had a life of their own.  Classical pieces such as Beethoven’s “Fur Elise” or Bach’s “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring” filled the room as I effortlessly played the keys.  Time passed and the ebony and ivory keys were replaced.  Music still played within my soul, but after a while the piano stood silent and forgotten.




     The time had come to work.  With music pulsing in my headphones, my fingers tap danced across the computer keys entering titles, authors, ISBN’s, and publishers.  Methodically my fingers flew.  My mind as focused as when my fingers danced across the piano, only now my fingers had a larger singular purpose.  No longer was my soul involved.  Now my efforts reaped a paycheck, and the beauty that had existed on the other keyboard became analytical and focused on a job well done .


       Years later, my fingers still dance over keys.  Now they dance across the black keyboard of my computer in a desperate attempt to keep time to the thoughts that flow as I write.  Creativity flows from my fingertips and still I am focused on the keys and on perfection.  Now my soul speaks to the keys, and my fingers record its story.  It is an endless dance.



         My life has revolved around keys for years.  Keys to my soul, keys to my car, keys to my house, keys on a piano, and keys on my computer, it seems my life is filled with keys.  Hopefully I will never lose the keys to my soul that allow me to write and create filling my life with purpose, as I have misplaced the keys to my house or car on occasion.  There have been times when I have feared that if my a$$ weren’t connected, I would surely misplace it!  Fortunately for me as I grow older I rarely lose the keys that unlock everything, because without them I would definitely lose my mind until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.



30 comments:

  1. Beautiful Kathy.. Absolutely beautiful.. I loved it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, I am so pleased you enjoyed reading my contribution! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. You are such an awesome writer. Loved your post - effortless transition from one to the other.

    my keys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy, thank you so much for your kind words. I am so pleased you enjoyed it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments!! ♥ You have made my day. :D

      Delete
  3. This is an awesome post on the key prompt. Being a pianist would never leave my list of priorities. I can so easily get lost in the sound of a piano concerto in my background. I hear nothing else.

    You are so talented and so multifaceted it never ceases to amaze me.

    Great piece written with a wonderful flow and evident heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, as much as I loved playing the piano, when we moved we had to leave my piano behind. It saddens me to this day but there is no way me and my husband could have lifted it to get it moved. :( Oh well, maybe someday I will get another piano. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. Kathy, once again, you've written a beautiful post. I love the way your imagination takes over and the words just seem to pour out effortlessly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, believe me, I like it when the words just flow too. Most of the time they do. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. Do you still play the piano regularly? Are you teaching your kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, if I still had my piano or access to a piano, I would be playing. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to bring it with me when we moved. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. Kathy: Such a fun piece. I love how you went from one type of key to another etc. So fun and creative. Gosh, I wish I learned an instrument. But I do use the "keys" on my keyboard. I adore Jim Brickman He is a great pianist as is John Tesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, I always loved the challenge of playing classical music. It feeds the soul. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. What a beautifully written post!! I loved this--very lyrical :) One of my favorite pianists is John Boswell-- his album The Painter...you should check it out.

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. Kathy, I love how you went from one key to another and you've seriously played with them all! You're an amazing woman, Kathy and don't let anyone (including yourself) tell you anything else! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne, now you have me grinning like a fool. Thank you for your praise. You are too kind! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  9. Music, art, writing....Kathy, is there anything you can't do?! (Another beautifully written post btw).

    Loki x

    http://oystercardjunkie.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loki Lou, there probably is! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  10. I always thought it would be fun to know how to play the piano, but alas, I never learned.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, you always can. I taught myself. It takes patience and determination, but it can be done!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  11. Beautifully done- I loveyule you tied in the piano keys to computer keys then your life all together. I haven't gotten a chance to write one, hopefully by tonight :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journey of Life, I look forward to it!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments on mine! ♥

      Delete
    2. Finally .. it is up :-) http://journeyofmylifendestiny.blogspot.com/2012/11/key-holders.html

      Delete
    3. Journey of Life, I loved your take on the prompt!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Journey of Life, LOL no worries. So pleased you stopped by! ♥

      Delete
  13. Keys to your soul...beautiful! No, I don't think you will ever lose those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, one can only hope not! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  14. Okay, I love, love, LOVE this post! Could totally hear the music and the tapping of the keyboard. Great imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I am so happy you enjoyed my contribution. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!♥

      Delete