Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Following the Leader

NaBloPoMo asks:

"Do you feel most comfortable being a leader, a follower, or a collaborator?"
 
      As soon as I seen the topic for today the first thought that zoomed into my head was the scene from Disney’s Peter Pan where John, Michael, and the Lost Boys decide to go off into the forest in search of Indians singing “I’m following the leader wherever he may go!”   While I have had the privilege of being a leader in the course of my life, I much prefer the easy going role of follower or collaborator.  A cop out maybe, but at least it isn’t my head on the chopping block if all goes to $hit. I would rush right into line following along behind singing at the top of my lungs shaking my happy a$$ as I go. I simply must inject fun into whatever I am doing no matter what I am doing and acting like I am a sandwich short of a picnic basket does not a good leader make.  


 

    While I am happy as a collaborator and enjoy injecting my two cents where needed, I am even more happy avoiding all the drama of leadership and following along and going with the flow.  As I think back over the course of my life and the moments when I have been thrust into a leadership position, I have always found myself feeling uneasy in that top spot.  I handled the burden of having everyone look at me for answers but I much prefer being the one doing the looking than being the one being looked at.  
 

      I like being in the trenches doing what needs to be done instead of Captain Bligh directing the underlings.  That just isn’t me.  I don’t have a forceful enough personality or the self confidence to lay down the law with anyone other than my own kids and husband.  Correction, when pushed and thoroughly pi$$ed I have absolutely no problem standing up for myself and telling someone just how it is.  When a backbone is needed, I pull up my big girl panties and show that I have just as many balls as the next person.  I simply have no desire to be in charge.  

      It is not that I don’t have an opinion or that I don’t care, it is simply that when push comes to shove I would rather someone else take up the mantle of leadership and run with it.  I will be happy to follow merrily along until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.



15 comments:

  1. I am the same way!!!! Whenever I belonged to a club of sorts and was thrust into a leadership position, it always seemed to backfire in my face. No more! I'm too old now to deal with that BS drama---I prefer sitting back and sipping my wine with the rest of the followers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menopausal Mama, I would be with you in the back sipping wine with the rest of the followers having a merry ole time! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. Hard for me to imagine not needing to be the one in charge. I'm much better at leading than following someone else's orders. BUT the world could scarcely survive if everyone wanted to be the boss.

    I think being a worker or a collaborator is important and let's be honest here, without that, not much would get accomplished!

    Leaders lead good workers to a finished product and it most definitely takes both to get the desired result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, its a win win situation. Good thing there are all kinds of people in the world happy to fit into each role and work together to get things done. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. To each his/her own. I prefer to lead and collaborate. Yeah, leading can be rife with drama and tension, but I try to alleviate that as much as possible.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremy, I can see that about you actually. I bet you make a great leader and I would be proud to be on your team and follow your lead. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. I'm not comfortable in the leader role either. I'd rather be on the team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, go team! I am with you all the way! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. thanks so much for sharing the Peter Pan clip, Kathy!

    if i am especially passionate about something, and feel both knowledgeable enough and that i will have adequate time to devote to the responsibility, i don't mind being a leader. but there are more instances when i am content to be a follower. {smile}


    dani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Heart, I agree completely. Being a leader takes a lot of extra time and devotion. You have got to have both and be willing to make a commitment to the project to lead. Being a follower is less time consuming and less stressful. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. I am a go with the flo kinda gal. I'll lead if it is something I'm passionate about but you know I'm happy to sit back, kick my heels up and let someone else do all the work if it is in the best interest of whatever group I'm involved in. However-- I have to qualify that because what generally propels me--gets me passionate about something--and/or takes me to the next level is learning more and being involved--and sometimes that ends up making me the leader. Not always. Like I said-- whatever everyone wants, I'm happy with :D

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, even when I am passionate I tend to hold back and am not that interested in leading. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. i tend to follow also. Of course, there would be times I wanted to lead, but only if I am sure I can see everything through. Otherwise, I just follow and be a good team player. (hey, i am following you :) Marie@ www.mommyunwired.com and www.projectmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, thank you for the follow!! I like to follow and be a good team player like you. I want to do the best job I can and make everyone happy and my lack of self confidence in myself tends to hold me back from putting myself out there. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. Leader, follower or collaborator. I didn't see the wine drinker in the original list, but that would be my choice. I'm not partial to any of the first three as I'm not a good "team" person. Much rather just do a project myself. Took me most of my 50 years to come to that realization and many failed attempts in all areas. When push comes to shove, I can do any of them, but generally avoid it. Now back to the "back of the room wine drinker"...hmmmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete