Monday, December 3, 2012

The Ultimate Professional of What?

     Have you ever been asked what you were a pro at?  I haven’t either, until today by NaBloPoMo.  To be honest, I really had to think about this one.  I read other writer’s responses and found that my response pretty much mirrors theirs.  I do a lot of things really well, but I wouldn’t say I am a pro at any of them.

      Since I am not a pro of any one thing in my humble opinion, I will say there are quite a number of things I am exceptionally good at.  For one, I can take a small amount of money and go to the store and manage to get absolutely everything I need for that week.  It never really matters how much the money is in short supply, I still manage to make what I have work to buy food, pay bills, and get all the extras that come up.  I usually don’t have much left at the end of my spree, but at least I did get everything I went looking for plus a little bit more.


 


      I have a knack at being able to express myself with my writing.  I tend to tell it just how it is in real life and the computer screen.  I may have absolutely  no idea what the hell I am going to say when I sit down to write, but when all is said and done I have a blog I am happy to publish and submit to be read.  I have never fancied myself as a writer, but in the years that I have faithfully allowed my thoughts to flow from my fingertips I have somehow transformed into one.  Somewhere along the way that is exactly what I have become.  I am technically a blogger and a liberated self imposed writer.  No one forces me to do it.  I just do it.  I write.  I may not write books, but I have been paid for my writing so it hasn’t all been a complete waste of my time.


        A lot of people would argue that if you aren’t getting paid to do it, it isn’t worth doing but if it fulfills some unspoken need for creativity than it becomes worth it on a completely new level. It is a level that demands a release of creativity that is completely yours and no one else’s.  It has allowed my soul a creative outlet that it obviously needs because I am satisfied in a way that is hard to explain when I hit the publish button and share my words with the world.  It is liberating and in a perverse way I feel I have accomplished something.

 

      While I am no chef, I can cook and I do it well.  Lately I have been on a diet in an attempt to lose weight, but since my family and I still need to eat I continue to cook.  I know how to whip up a meal in a little bit of no time knowing just how much to prepare so every morsel is consumed.  There are few leftovers and hardly ever any waste.  Coming from a background where my mother always cooked for an army, this is quite a skill to have acquired.

       I am artistic.  I can draw, paint, and crochet up a storm.  I have taught myself to play the piano proficiently and read music.  Once again while I am good at a wide array of things, I am not a pro at any one thing.   Finally, I have it!!  Eureka I scream to the hill tops!  I am a pro at being me until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.


17 comments:

  1. I'm not a pro at anything at all. I dabble and do some stuff pretty well like photography & crafts, but a pro? No way, I'm always learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, life is a process and a constant learning experience. That is why I couldn't fathom what I would be a pro at. It was almost laughable. I have seen your work, and in my opinion you are a pro at crafting. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. It is a hard word. From reading your blog, I feel you are a pro at a number of things. I like the inclusive definitions of the word, not the exclusive. ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rennata, this was kind of a hard one to write about. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. Glad to know others feel the same about being good a several things, but balking at the idea of calling themselves a "pro". I think being a pro at being yourself is the best description I've heard yet. And it's a skill that isn't all that easy to attain, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Velle, I am so pleased you enjoyed my ramblings on this topic. It was kind of a hard one!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. Kathy - I always see such a creative streak in you. Can one be a "creative pro"? I don't know, but you come pretty damn close! Keep being creative and sharing with us, it's a joy to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your post today. You are a great writer, (just in case no one has ever told you). I aspire to be able to sit down and just write like you do. PRO or no PRO. Keep doing a great job at being you.

    Thanks Angelia @ http://dixielandcountry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelia, thank you for stopping by to read and make my day with your kind comments!! ♥

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Cindy, I am so pleased you agree! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. Love your post...and I especially relate to the getting a lot for a little at the grocery store. I am a couponer for life lol...not extreme...no stockpiles in my house. But I need to save $30 on my bill to pay for fruit and veggies that re so expensive up here in Wisconsin...

    Great post
    KMN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KMN, I hear you! A girl has got to do what a girl has got to do to save some money!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. "It is a level that demands a release of creativity that is completely yours and no one else’s. It has allowed my soul a creative outlet..." You speak the very words in my heart about writing, Kathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of being a pro and being yourself! You can be good at many things, but the best person to be good at is yourself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep. You got it, you are a pro at being YOU and no one else can do that! You are also a pro at many things, but you short change yourself, in my opinion. I think you're a pro at all things artistic and I totally enjoy seeing the things you have created.

    I also agree the money stretching thing and the not over cooking thing are both amazing and life saving abilities AND if you were to teach others that skill, you'd be a pro at both! You could, so I'm saying you're a pro at both!

    Difficult prompt and great handling of same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed reading this post (as usual) and would like to say that you certainly are a pro at being yourself and the ultimate in expressing your opinions. And, all the things you say you are good at truly make for a healthy life in my opinion. You are good!

    When I was getting acquainted with the friend that became my husband, we talked a lot about our hopes and goals for the future. I was very much interested in having a healthy family and a happy home. I didn't necessarily need a lot of money and didn't want to make any headlines. I just wanted a happy family. Fortunately, he had some of the same feelings and we've been married for more than 49 years. It hasn't always been a "bed of roses" but I've realized my dreams of a happy family and no broken hearts.

    Thanks again for writing about the important things in life and the challenges you've met successfully. You're so encouraging to us Kathy.

    ReplyDelete