Thursday, December 12, 2013

Travel


       My husband lives out of his luggage year round.  Last year when we did our taxes we figured out that he averaged 4-5 days home a month, the rest of the time was spent behind the wheel of his semi-truck.  When you look at it that way, he really isn’t here a lot.  His life is spent traveling.  In contrast, my life is spent at home taking care of the kids and the dogs.  It kind of makes sense that when he finally comes home, he wants to be home.  Great for him to be home, but it doesn’t get me and the kids out of the house on many trips.

       It hasn’t always been that way.  While I have never been out of the country except for a rare excursion inside the Canadian borders to simply say I had been there, all of my trips have been inside the United States.  While growing up my family took trips to Disney World in Florida a total of 3 times.  We took a trip to the mountains of Colorado when I was about 13 and another trip to explore the Wisconsin Dells.  We explored all the hot spots along the way because we always went by car.  I have never traveled any other way.

       From the time I was about 11 until my mother’s death when I was 24, my mom and I went on the road a lot to see the Oak Ridge Boys.  It was a load of fun and I got to see a lot of the country following their bus.  My mom was simply addicted to them.  If they were within a 24 hour drive away from the house we went…happily.  Most weekends and every school vacation were devoted to road trips, concerts, and visits to the beach if the weather cooperated.   If they were anywhere close, and even sometimes if they weren’t we went.   The Oak Ridge Boys, Band, and Crew became like family to me.  It was nice having that many “big brother” types about.  We traveled along the east coast, in the south, up north, and all over the Midwest with them.  It was a lot of fun and I have amazing memories from those years that I will cherish for the rest of my life.  Thanks to Face Book, I still stay connected with them all as they continue to tour and I take care of my family.



        There are so many places I would like to see in the world and so many places I would like to travel to and explore.  I am realist though, and I am content if it never happens.  As they say, as long as there is breath in this body, anything is possible and there is still hope. 

18 comments:

  1. I am not able to travel as much as I'd like either, but we have had some awesome trips in the last several years. I do love a good road trip! Going on one in March, if all works out.

    Ps...the snow flakes are now falling into the words and are kinda hard to see around. Wasn't like this before, just thought you'd like to know. 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, not quite sure how to fix that...sorry. I would like to travel but with the kids school schedules and general lack of money for such things it just isn't possible. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments♥

      Delete
  2. I think the USA has so much to offer that you could have heaps of adventures without ever leaving its borders. I think those who live in the US and haven't ever left their state are missing out on a whole lot! I've visited a lot of US states myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trisha, it really does have it all when it comes to geography. So much to see and do, Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. As long as there is hope, we can look forward to more beautiful tomorrows. Wishing you adventurous travel filled 2014 :)
    PS : Your comments on my blog leave a smile on my face, always !♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. iihahs, I am so pleased you enjoyed my post as much as I always enjoy yours. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. I love your last line...anything is possible and there is still hope. I have never been on a road trip. Hoping all your travel wishes come true.. love your positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. preethi, I have found I am a lot happier if I choose to dwell on the positives instead of wallow in the negatives. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. I can relate to this. When we were in Mumbai, where we had a very hectic pace of life. After slogging for 5 days from morn to night weekends were ours and we would rarely venture out of the home. It is only after we left Mumbai and stayed in smaller cities we started traveling. Agree with you, as long as there is breath in this body, anything is possible and there is still hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shilpa, yes...one day I will get to more places again. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments!♥

      Delete
  6. Wow, she followed them around like we followed the Grateful Dead around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I honestly think she felt they were more family than the people that really were...seriously. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. I liked reading about the trips with your mom to see the Oak Ridge Boys. I've never taken a trip with my mom since I reached adulthood. (My parents have gone on a few family vacations, though!) I can understand why your husband wouldn't be eager for a road trip, but I do hope you get the opportunity to do some travel, anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jannatwrites, I hope so too. Maybe one day when the bills are all paid...we can escape to parts unknown using that lovely tax money that is usually reserved for catching up bills. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. I haven't traveled on vacations apart from going to my grandparents as a child. Vacations and going to exotic places started off only after the kids were born. The daily grind doesn't allow many trips, but we do ensure at least one a year. You must be a super-woman given that you handle the kids all alone, almost whole of the month. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rekha, you are too kind. If I could have it any other way I would. It is not by choice. I never signed on to be basically a single parent...but here I am. It is so nice when he finally comes home. I always have fanciful visions of him giving me a breather in the parenting department and he does to a degree. Most of the time...it is still all me. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  9. I sincerely hope your travelling dreams come true. I think it's the journey and the new things one sees and learns that makes any trip exciting. It doesn't matter if the trip is near or far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy, I hope so too but I choose to be content if they don't. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete