Monday, November 26, 2012

Invisible People

Jo at "My Wandering Mind" is this week's host for the Writer's Post Blog Hop.  Thank you Jo for the great writing prompt!    

    Have you ever noticed how easy electronics make it to be invisible?  A person can literally hole up in their house for days on end invisible from the world.  The internet allows a person to never have to really interact with anyone.  The folks online on social networks are real, but we can’t see them or touch them.  You can have hundreds of friends and family on Face Book and still be the most isolated person in the world.  Face Book makes it easy to keep connected with others without ever having to see or talk to them in real life.


 

      The need for family dinners and reunions cease because everyone already knows everybody’s business without ever having to really interact with that person or get together.  Typing “hugs” and offering up prayers takes the place of the real thing.  In my estimation, it is a poor substitute.  The channels that bring us together like Twitter and Face Book are the exact same channels that keep us apart.  Most folks won’t waste their time picking up the phone or getting together.  They will stay invisible silently stalking their friends and relatives to see just what they are up to instead of having the balls to ask them to their face or giving them a call on the telephone.  Still others will go so far as to isolate themselves further by turning off their chat so they can see everyone’s movements and statuses without being seen themselves.  I have even watched family feuds and friend’s fights unfold on Face Book in front of me and everyone else in the planet that happens to be on that person’s friend list.  People feed on drama and comedy on social networks as much as they flock to watch favorite shows on television.

 

        We all thirst for a connection to the invisible people that inhabit social sites like Face Book which is why they are such a hit.  We are drawn to them.  It is far easier to log on to Face Book than to actually take time to dial a number on the phone or visit and pass out those hugs in person.  It is a lot less hassle.   It is easier to grab a random opponent for a quick game of “Words with Friends”, or play “Pet Society” with a group of folks you will never meet in real life than to round up some living, breathing bodies for a quick game.  In ways social networks bring people from all over the world closer together making it possible to interact with others no matter how far away they are.  It breaks the barriers and brings together folks of like minded views who would have probably never gotten together otherwise.  In other ways, they isolate us further making it so much easier for loners like me to rely on invisible people for companionship and entertainment rather than venturing out into the real world to interact with others until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

24 comments:

  1. You make good points. I have a good friend from high school who described himself as shy, on FB, the other day. I was like, 'you? shy? as if!' and he goes, 'you only know the online me'. It's true, I haven't actually seen him since he graduated & I've been back on the east coast for over a year now, and haven't seen him in person. I do love FB though, being able to chat in real time w/ people all over the world. Plus I HATE talking on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, it is a lot easier to be outgoing with everyone online than it is if you are looking them eye to eye. I like Face Book for the same reasons you do. It makes me feel a little less alone. Because of that, I am more likely to stick to myself because I get interaction with others there. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your insightful comments!!! ♥

      Delete
  2. While I agree with the FACT that social media does keep real relationships from needing face to face time, I also love all the new friends ( like YOU) that I now have in my life. Mybd friends who don't live close are right here with me any time we're online together. Those things are not possible any other way.

    Not as a replacement but rather as an enhancement, Iove social media.


    I still need and relish my in person visits with friends and family.

    Great job here, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, it is an enhancement. In my case it isn't really a complete replacement but does make it so that I never have to interact with very many people face to face if at all. I would probably lose my mind without it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! I am so pleased you enjoyed my post!

      Delete
  3. Great post. I find that to be true. Blessed with great online friends, but I make an effort to have FaceTime to those who I can. I have pen pals now, and am finding it more difficult to write letters, but I love the art of letter writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, I used to have pen pals ages ago but now find that writing letters has become a thing of the past. People are more likely to send an email or an instant message on Face Book. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed your post. So true that social networking has taken over our lives. I try to balance things. But I've also made some incredible friends through my blogs and connected up with so many friends from my past that I never would've otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy, and that is the great benefit of social networks online! It allows us to stay more connected with people that are far away and busy with their own lives. In that respect it is awesome!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  5. Some great points here Kathy!! The thing is-- nothing (and I do mean nothing) will replace a great telephone conversation for me. I love to talk on the phone!! I love to visit family in person. I don't get to do it as often because of distance--but when I can I certainly do. For me- Facebook is just a substitute until I can go and do the real thing...and I try to do the real thing as much as possible.

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I have never been much for talking on the phone. So glad that I met you on Face Book as you have become a true friend and confidante! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!!

      Delete
  6. I've had the same thoughts myself. Social media is awesome but it sure takes away the essence of forming relationships; something up close, personal and real. On the other hand, it has also brought me to people and places I would never have thought possible. I guess the secret is balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, Absolutely...the key is balance! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  7. This is so true, Kathy. It's becoming easier to hide behind a computer than to interact with 'real' people sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne, I find that I hardly ever interact with real people except when I go to the library or the store. The rest of the time, I am home alone or with my kids. My computer is my lifeline to the outside world. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  8. I don't get out much - always too busy to socialize etc. So I love the fact that I can meet new people online and interact with so many different people from all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lanthie, you are a lot like me!! To me it is so cool to visit and connect with so many dear friends from all across the globe without ever leaving the comfort and safety of my own home! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  9. I like having a balance...meeting friends IRL for coffee but also making friends the world over online! Also, in my circle of friends there aren't many who have actually been as supportive recently as those online...it's a surreal thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loki-Lou, I have found that to be the case too. Isn't that just weird? Of course, I really very rarely emerge from under my rock and leave home. I love my online friends including you! Thank you for stopping in to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  10. Hi Kathy,
    The invisible people are certainly more powerful these days! And social media indeed has a large part to play with it. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, Thank you for stopping in to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  11. I had to leave my house and go to work for 42 years. Now I'm retired and I just plain don't want to go anywhere, so socializing on the internet is perfect for me. As for family...most of my family lives out of state. I don't have any family left in Orlando, so I am grateful for the internet to keep in touch with my family. It's wonderful to know from day to day that everyone is okay. A big plus is that I have found many family members who I lost touch with over the years and I have found new family members who I never knew before facebook...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene, the internet is a wonderful way to stay connected to those that are far away. I am no where near retirement age but since I left work to be a stay at home mom, life has been very isolated. The internet has helped me keep connected to the world. It has allowed me to make friends with some extraordinary people who I feel so blessed to have found...like you. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  12. That is so true. And for someone like me, who has anxiety -- particularly about leaving my house -- it isn't a good thing. I rarely use my phone as a phone anymore; I just text back and forth with my friends and family. I do know that I need to get out more and interact with real people in real life, even if it's just to buy coffee. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bee, the electronic devices make it so easy not to. They are isolating even while keeping us connected. I have found that most of the time I would rather communicate with people online rather than have to see them face to face. Did I just admit that? LOL Yes, I did. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete