Monday, November 12, 2012

My Favorite Place to Write

       Today the folks at NaBloPoMo challenged me to describe where my favorite place to blog is.  My favorite place to write is in the northeast corner of my living room.  With my favorite painting watching over me from above, I am tucked away in the corner with the activity of the rest of the house swirling around me.  I sit at my desk surrounded by the controlled chaos of papers, assorted pens, pencils and clutter pounding away on the black computer keys allowing each thought to flow through my fingers.  The more inspired, the faster my fingers fly.  I pause to gather my thoughts and then the persistent tapping continues. I read and re-read what I have written. 



      After the kids are off to school, I often sit at my desk and answer emails, read blogs, and comment as I eat my breakfast.  The dogs are curled up on the couch in a row and their soft snores reverberate through the room.  Sometimes inspiration finds me first thing in the morning in this precise spot.  Some days my mojo refuses to work until afternoon.   I write and edit, and then when I am satisfied I add it to my site, carefully choosing music and graphics to perfectly compliment what I have wrote. 



      With the speakers cranked to full blast I search you tube for the perfect song.  Which song speaks to me and perfectly illustrates what I have written?  Which beat inspires me most?  Which lyrics parallel my message?  I contemplate what I have written, read it aloud to the four walls, and edit, edit, edit until I am satisfied.  For me, it is the whole package: The words, the visuals, and the music that make a post complete.  The final package sets my heart soaring.  If I didn’t like the end product it would never be posted.  I would delete it and walk away from this favorite spot for a while until it all perfectly gels and I am content.  In this spot I celebrate the creation of each post.


        Beside me on a small table sits my boom box which occasionally fills the room with music as I write, edit, create, and finalize my latest submission on the days when I need the extra motivation.   I type to the beat.  Other times, I type in silence with only the tapping of the keys as the drum beat of my imagination.  My thoughts rush through my fingers and at times, I barely can type fast enough to keep up
until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

22 comments:

  1. Loved hearing about your writing space and routines. My favourite place is in my little garden shed, though I can only do that in the summer. It's all closed up for winter now, so I'm currently at my desk in the sitting room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, how cool that you go out to your garden shed to write!! In the summer I have tried to write in my camper on my laptop but I end up doing more commenting there than actual writing. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  2. Ah yes-- your safe haven of writing!! I have one too.. I call it my "Space Station" just because it not only looks like one--but because it is that place where I work, write, and dream all in a nights time.

    Great post :)
    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, your space station is pretty cool. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  3. Wow, fun to see where you actually are writing after reading your blog for so long. I feel a little closer to you. Thanks for welcoming me into your writing corner! That would be fun for us all to to a blog post of our writing corners...mine is my lap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I don't have the coordination to do what I do from my lap. LOL I would drop my laptop and break it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!!

      Delete
  4. It's always good to hear how others do it, what they see, how they feel, how it works and comes together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antony, I agree! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  5. I like to sit in my chair with my laptop and type away. Either w/ TV on or just in the silence. Loved the pic of the pups. Rough life they have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I know right? They literally sleep all day long. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  6. What great insight into your creative process! Thank you so much for sharing. I type away on my laptop in our home office to the sound of cats crying to be lifted onto my lap -- two at the same time, usually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bee, our cat likes to do the caterwaul thing too but that sound is like nails on a chalkboard to me and drives me insane. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful post.

    Thanks for stopping by my page; I've bookmarked yours for future reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia, I am so pleased you enjoyed it. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments!!

      Delete
  8. This post is almost like a poem, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, considering I don't think I am anything close to a poet I am flattered to my toes. Thank you for stopping in to read and for your awesome comments!

      Delete
  9. I like how you describe your writing, so creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I am so pleased you enjoyed it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!!

      Delete
  10. It was nice to have a peek at the spot where all your creative juices fly high and am impressed by how much work you put into your blog posts. I feel quite honored to be part of your blog friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I am so pleased you enjoyed my post and having a look see. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  11. I'm guessing ACDC feature in these writing sessions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, you would be guessing right. A little ACDC, a little Ozzy Osbourne, a little Nickelback, and a whole bunch of other favorite tunes by a whole bunch of others. :D Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete