Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Making a Difference

     Who doesn’t hope that their life is worthwhile and somehow they are able to make a difference to someone?? Recently a classmate of mine died. Our lives had run parallel all through school even though we were never really friends. While reading his obituary in the local newspaper I was amazed how much he accomplished in his short life. He had his hands in so many pies it is a wonder he had any time left for his wife and kids. He had three kids, so obviously he had time to “get busy” at least three times. It really made me stop and think to myself…what have I accomplished in my life? Have I made a difference to anyone yet?

     When really depressed I often think of the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life” where George Bailey wonders what the world would be like if he had never been born. If I had never been born certainly neither of my parents would have had someone that would have forfeited their own lives to step up to the plate to care for them in their times of need. Without me, my kids wouldn’t be here which would be a shame. If I never made a difference to anyone else, I pray with my whole heart that I will have made a difference to them. I would like to think that because of me they will be a little more considerate to others, a bit more polite, and accomplish a little more from my constant prodding to keep them moving forward. At the same time, I hope because of me they look at life with a smile and can survive their struggles while finding the humor that exists in just about everything.

     I would like to think when I smile at strangers that somehow I made their day a little more pleasant and that perhaps my bubbling giggles would be contagious and they would be happier because of them, even if only for a moment. Most of the time, making a difference doesn’t take a lot. A smile, a kind word, a thoughtful gesture goes a long way to brightening someone’s day. If I can accomplish nothing more with my life, I would hope folks would smile when they think of me instead of grimacing and thinking of all the ways I am a complete bitch.



    My favorite catch phrase is that I don’t get paid to be nice. A lot of people do. If they work in customer service then being nice in even the most infuriating circumstances is mandatory and expected. Of course my catchphrase has a condition; if you are nice to me…I will be nice back. Hell, I’ll be nice until you screw me over, and then I don’t get paid to be nice. My dad always said nice guys finish last. At the time, I thought he was nuts. Why would anyone want to finish last??? After being on the cross country team in my senior year of high school my eyes were opened and I realized it was “something” to finish at all! I never could have hoped to finish first, but finishing and living to tell the tale was really something!

      Some people go all out throughout their lives contributing and making a difference to others. Some only do good because it makes them look like the next thing to saints to others instead of any real desire to do well or be nice. Shame on those hypocrites! Still others like me make a difference to a select few. So are the folks that practically kill themselves trying to do good deeds to the masses any more valuable than someone like me who strives to make a difference in the lives of those I care most about? I think not.

      According to the Bible, G0d has a plan and purpose for all of us. Each life is precious and touches others ultimately making a difference. Everyone has their own idea of what a good life is. So, I will keep striving to make a difference making up my mind that this life I have been given is going to be a good life no matter what until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

10 comments:

  1. When my kids look back on their childhood, I hope they think of the happy things like rearing frogs, planting gardens or going on haunted hayrides for Halloween rather than thinking of life with disabilities. Darn it, we work very hard to make sure of it!!

    At that point, then I can say my work here is done. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW you are making a difference. Your family is blessed to have you as wife and Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the trick is to forgive oneself if the day is bad and the mood is black. We're all human and will suffer the odd bad mood, but most of the time our goodness comes through. I don't know you at all, but in the few times I've stopped by, I have the sense you are indeed, a warm hearted person. You probably make more of a difference than you realize. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you serious? You make a difference with every blog you write. Someone is effected by your words when you say them, write them and something is different for them hence. It is the nature of interaction. You speak and I hear. I am different because I heard your words.

    You totally enhanced my life right from your first blog. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I think you are doing a marvelous job and have made a difference in what your children remember and value. Good for you!! Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darlene, Oh thank you!! You have made my day! Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brenda, you are probably right. Forgiveness is key and is one facet or life I need more work at! Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jo, you actually brought tears to my eyes. Thank you! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments. I will walk away today with my step a little lighter and my smile a little brighter from your kind words. It is folks like you that make the concept of me writing worthwhile. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betty, you are such a sweetie! Thank you for stopping by to read and for the kind comments!

    ReplyDelete