Sunday, November 4, 2012

Beginnings


    If you think about it, life is full of beginnings.  With a single cry, life begins fresh and new.  We know little more than the sound of our mother’s voice and the warmth of the womb, still we forge ahead tasting, seeing, and experiencing life each moment taking each day as it comes.

    School begins.  We begin to learn amazing things: how to read, how to write, how to calculate, and how to philosophize and along the way we learn how to make friends.  Friendships begin, and then they end.  Some friendships last forever if we’re lucky.  If not, people drift through our life at an alarming rate fulfilling their purpose in our life touching us in profound ways.  Touching us as fate would have it. 




 

    Boy meets girl and love is discovered, and sometimes hate, sadness, rejection, and disappointment.  Romances begin, and sometimes end.  They always begin again until our soul mate waltzes into our lives and knock us for a loop.  From each new beginning we learn.  Marriage marks a new beginning filled with promise and hope.  Couples forge through life together marking new beginnings as home owners and as parents.


        The arrival of a baby marks a special beginning.  Each beginning is a departure from how life used to be and although scary, each beginning is filled with excitement and anticipation.  Sometimes all goes wrong.  We survive divorce and forge again with someone new discovering that even after heartache and loss a new beginning is always possible.


     We work, we play, we live and each day marks a new beginning filled with promise and hope.  Each new day is fresh with no mistakes.  A new day is like a fresh new page of our life to be written on.  Beginnings bring excitement and fear of the unknown, but somehow we adjust and embrace the beginnings and life continues to flow and we grow.  Even death will be a new beginning where we will finally discover what really lies beyond that last breath.  Even though I will probably always agonize about new beginnings a little, I have found as I grow older it is becoming a little easier to embrace what will and must come until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.


26 comments:

  1. It's true, the only constant in life is change. New beginnings are always a little bit tough, and a little bit exciting. It reminds me of moving. There's such a difference between Leaving and Going. One involves all the good-byes and saddness, the other involves all the hopes of the new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waffle Wednesday, I have only moved a couple times in my life and every single time I hated leaving the old behind and embracing the new. Once I was settled in, I was fine. It was the newness and the period of adjustment that got me. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  2. I like what Waffle Wednesday said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, thank you so much for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  3. Buddhism, from what I've been learning, is built on the idea of impermanence - that things are changing all the time and that the root cause of suffering is people trying trying to stay in one place and to stop change from happening. From our human perspective some changes are good and some are bad but all change together is what makes up the circle of our lives. Your post reminds me of the fact that in order to have beginnings - often something has to end. Today I am morning the loss of day light savings time because I find it discouraging to have it be dark at 5 PM. So I'm trying to remind myself that the darkness means more time to be inside with my family, to bake, to prepare for the holidays, and to look at seed catalogues in preparation for next year's garden. Thanks Kathy - have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, very true. Better to look at the cup half full than half empty. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  4. You said it. It's exciting and terrifying when new things come. Why is it so hard to go with the flow? Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I don't know. Maybe it is the fear of the unknown. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  5. I love new beginnings, Kathy even though in some ways they oftentimes are delayed by my fears and apprehensions, but once I begin I know I'm on the right path. Here's to your new beginnings - may they all be smooth. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne, I agree. I think it is the transition to the new that is the most worrisome. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post Kathy--this was beautifully done ;) Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I am so pleased you enjoyed my post! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful Kathy! This reminded me of all the beginnings I had in life. They were scary but I think had I not taken them on, I wouldn't be where I am today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, well said! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  8. I've learned quite recently that things can just end abruptly and when they do you feel rather lost for a little while until something new begins. Even though you feel anxiety about this new beginning you also feel excited, and in some cases it is inevitable for this thing to happen so fighting it is rather a lost cause.

    Beautifully written (and thought provoking) post Kathy! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loki-Lou, that would be a bit disconcerting! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your wonderful comments!

      Delete
  9. Sometimes we wonder why begin if things would end, but then that is the beauty of life. It promises us the new beginning each time when things need/have to end. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journey of Life, it is the beginnings and the endings together that make life interesting. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!! ♥

      Delete
  10. It's always a combination of feelings when we begin a new adventure or stage of our lives. I love your point about love ending and yet another is allowed and even encouraged to bloom in it's place. So very true and I am so glad it's that way!

    Well written and a really good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, me too. It gives a person hope knowing with each ending there is a new beginning. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  11. I used to hate new beginnings and the lack of control most of them inherently offer us. However, I've been forced to get over it. Haha. Every day is a beginning in this house--at least on some level. Life is always teaching us. :)

    Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I can see why you would, but look how you have mastered those new beginnings!! I am so in awe of you and feel so blessed to count you as one of my writing friends. Life teaches better than anything else. Thank you so much for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!!! ♥

      Delete
  12. Nice post, Kathy! It's the happiest people who learn to adjust to (and embrace!) the inevitable changes in life. Lots of beginnings on this grand adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word Nerd, thank you! I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments. ♥

      Delete
  13. Great post, Kathy. Such a simple and joyful assessment of life. :) I nominated you for an award (if you don't have it already). The link is below. http://faithinambiguity.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-ironic-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, I am so pleased you enjoyed my post!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! I am honored that you would think of me for the award. Thank you so much!

      Delete