Monday, November 5, 2012

Turn Back the Clock-BFF 241

          I will be the first to admit I have never understood the concept of daylight savings time.  Setting the clock forward or back confuses the hell out of me.    The best I can do is wait until after the glorious moment when the time changes then check reliable sources like my computer and the guide on the television to see just what time it happens to be and hope that the powers that be that control such devices have got it right.  I admit I went through the motions yesterday making sure the clocks were set right on my cell phone, TV, and the computer but beyond that…I completely dropped the ball.


         I have been in a cold medication induced fog going through the motions since Saturday.  It is little wonder that my head was farther up my a$$ than usual.  I took more medication last night, applied Vicks to my chest, set the alarm clock for 7 AM sharp, and went to bed in complete trust that all was right with my world.



 

         Morning arrived too soon.  So soon that when the alarm clock started it’s annoying bleating the room was still pitch black.  I looked at the clock through bleary eyes, turned it off, and rolled out of bed followed by my menagerie of dogs heading straight to the bathroom for my morning pee.  Icy winds blew up my night gown as I let the dogs out and back in.  
 
        Half asleep, I packed both kid’s lunches then went and flipped on the light switch to my daughter’s room announcing it was time to get up before diving back under my own covers.  I grabbed my cell phone to check email and the local news on my phone.  My eyes opened a little wider when I realized it was shortly after 6.  6 AM!!  What the hell?  I raced out to the kitchen.  It was after 7 AM there, but 6 AM in the living room.  Oh holy hell, stupid me!!  I raced back to my daughter’s bedroom and turned the switch off and yelled “False alarm!  Go back to sleep!  You have another hour!” then went and changed ALL the clocks I had missed the day before starting with my alarm clock.  What really sucked about the whole thing was by then I was wide awake.  


            Would I ever go back in time if given a chance?  That would be a definite hell yes.  I would go back and change all the clocks to the proper time starting with my alarm clock so I could have avoided this whole episode.  I would happily go back in time and spend some more time with my mom and dad.  I would give just about anything to do that.  Knowing that they would die anyways would make me sad all over again, but I still think I would love to see them.  If I had the chance to be young again would I want to be?  That is a difficult question for me.  I appreciate being wiser from the lessons I have learned.  If I could go back and undo some of the stupidity, I would.  I wouldn’t have gotten married the first time. I would have waited, because the best was yet to come.   I would have put money in the bank and went a different path instead of investing in building a house where the builders decided to bankrupt and take all that and more with them leaving me accountable with no house to show for the money invested.  I might have even gotten my graphics design degree instead of giving it up as a lost cause.



       Since I can’t go back, I will keep my eyes pointed forward.  I will focus on now and let tomorrow take care of itself until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.


18 comments:

  1. Wait-- you mean your clocks did not get adjusted until this morning? Oh honey I want some of that medicine ASAP! It has to be better than what I am taking. LOL. And yes it hurts to laugh...ugh...did I mention I need some of your medicine? He-He.

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, LOL That is what I am saying. I didn't change the only clock that matters which is my alarm clock until Monday morning! LOLOLOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. I always wait till Sun. morning to turn them back after I get up. It makes the day feel longer and I loooooove that. :D I wish we could stay on standard time year round; there's no reason for DST anymore. I hope you start feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to ask....why were you waking your daughter up so early on a Sunday?

      Delete
    2. JoJo, I only managed to change the clocks in the living room. Stupid me didn't change the clock in the bedroom. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment and for your get well wishes!

      Delete
    3. JoJo, It was Monday morning for school.

      Delete
  3. I'm another one who can't figure out why they have to mess with the time. It's a pain trying to figure out what time it is in other states anyhow and, then, it gets confusing on who goes to Daylight Savings Time and you stays at their normal standard time. Oh well ---- got a kick out of your post.

    Kathy, here's hoping that both you are Jenn are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I agree. My husband has to deal with time changes all the time and has to follow Nebraska time for work which is just plain confusing in my book. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
    2. My husband drove for Crete Carrier Corp in Lincoln, Nebraska and was working on Central Time. He also dealt with the different time zones in loading and delivery schedules factoring in Daylight Savings Time or not. Don't know how he kept up with it all. So, I take my hat off to your husband and hoping they will do away with Daylight Savings Time. Guess that is the plan since they keep increasing the span each year. Oh well, I've got more important things to worry about.

      Delete
    3. Betty, I know what you mean. Having to figure out just what time it was where everyday would drive me insane. Better him than me!! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. The trouble with the time change is that we also have to change our habits for an hour daily. For instance, my cats expect to eat between 6:30 & 7 pm each evening. They don't know the time changed - they are still looking for dinner between 5:30 & 6 pm, so I have to adjust my schedule to accommodate their little tummies. Also, I'm cooking our own evening meal when my little dogs expect their after dinner walk. Mom said it played havoc with our little tummies when we were babies and she had to keep to the same feeding schedule, off by one hour for the summer... My nephew was complaining about it being so much longer than it used to be. Well...that was GW Bush's contribution while president....like we needed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene, I hear you! My dogs think they need to go out like normal but now that the time has changed that seems a whole lot earlier. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. I have never understood daylight savings time in the modern era. And now that I have little kids, there's no such thing as "gaining" an hour. I lose sanity whenever we change the clocks forward or back. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dodgingacorns, I don't understand the whole gaining an hour business either. My kids used to be a lot more exhausting when they were younger. Now that they are in school, it seems a lot better. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. I've always thought that daylight savings time fools us into thinking that we're gaining an extra hour. But well, it does good to think more positive :)

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Your blog looks cool and I'm now following. Hope you can follow back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, thank you for the follow. All that time changing business goes way over my head and makes my brain tired. LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. I'm not a fan of DST and have never ever ever liked it. I think once upon a time someone somewhere thought we would use less energy with the time switch, but I really don't see how. It's still only light outside x number of hours each day. Had to be a man's idea, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I agree. Only a man or a group of them would have come up with this hair brain scheme. LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete