Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Call for Action

     After the tragic events in Connecticut, I know I am not alone in wondering what kind of sick world we are living in.  Sadly, this kind of tragedy is happening more and more.  What possesses these people to take a gun and go in and kill random people?  I often wonder why G0d allows things like this to happen.  Is He trying to tell us that we need to have better control over who is allowed to possess a gun?  The world has gone nuts when parents can’t even send their children off to school with the certainty that at the end of the day they will see them again.


       I am shocked, appalled, and deeply saddened.   With two precious children of my own, fear gripped my heart sending each of them off to school not knowing if tragedy would strike here.  You just never know.  I breathe a sigh of relief each day I see them step off their buses and run into my waiting arms.  My heart and prayers go out to the parents that were robbed of this.  It is beyond awful.  When will someone step up to the plate and make laws that would prevent a tragedy like this ever happening again?  The sad part is that things like this will continue as the world continues to spiral out of control.  The scary part is tragedy could strike any of us, anywhere.  Other nut jobs will step up to the plate and have their own killing spree so they can have their one moment of fame before they turn the gun on themselves.



      The bottom line is we can’t live in fear.  We must soldier on and hope for the best.  We must pray that the families touched by this senseless tragedy find peace and that our elected officials have the balls to get tough on gun control laws so things like this cease to become frequent occurrences.  This is a wake up call to our elected officials that are sitting pretty in the capital making more money than most everyone else to bicker amongst themselves getting little done.  It is time to $hit and get.  It is time to take action that will matter.  Unless measures are taken, I fear these senseless killings will continue until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.




14 comments:

  1. I totally agree that we need tougher gun laws in this country. Did you hear about the same day tragedy in China? A crazy barged into a school a few hours earlier and slashed multiple victims with a knife. They all survived. We have more gun deaths in America than any other country. It's time for action.


    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, yes I did hear about that and it is all beyond awful. There is just too much violence in this world. I agree that it is time for action. People can not sit back and do nothing. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. I agree with all this, Kathy. What I can't understand is why this murderer's mother felt the need to own 3 guns. Our gun laws here are very strict, and no one I know owns a gun, or feels the need to buy one. Yes, our criminals here manage to obtain guns illegally, but ordinary law-abiding citizens simply don't have guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I don't get that either. If it were up to me, it would be so hard to get a gun legally that next to no one would have one. Law enforcement and military yes. Everyone else, no. Not only that they would have to submit to a huge background check and be checked for mental stability each year. The sad part is even with all the rules that governing officials could come up with people will still find a way to get guns and kill regardless. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. Wasn't the mother into target shooting or something? That's probably why she had them. Some people just like to collect guns, like my ex. And my fiance' has a few of them too, mostly hunting rifles b/c he's a hunter. I have my own revolver. Criminals and wack jobs will always be able to find in illegal weapon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I agree. As sad as it is...those that have the intent to kill will always find a way to do it. Such cowards to gun down innocent kids and people then commit suicide. Just sick. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!! ♥

      Delete
  4. I am not a mom, but have family and friends who are in school and two kindergarten teaching sisters and a grade school teaching brother. I was ill all day Friday and here I am on Sunday still sad and afraid to turn on the tv or look at Facebook etc. for fear of strong grief flowing again. I don't know what the solution is, but I agree that there needs to be something done. I have friends out of state who carry legally, and feel secure doing so. Sad to me that they feel the need to do so. My brothers all are exmilitary and demonstrated to me as a young woman how my carrying even mace could be turned on me in an instant (even though I said no way!). I think families need to be more aware of their families activities also.. Not blaming the mom, as she paid the ultimate price, but I am hearing more and more about violent games, and music and half the time the parents aren't aware what they are due to time and maybe not living with the family etc. This is a national problem, and only will get worse if nothing changes. Mental health issues need to be addressed, and care given to those who need it etc. So many factors I believe. Peace to you Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, I agree completely with you. Violent video games don't help things because before long the video game becomes more important than other people. Some play so much they can't distinguish what is real and what is not. Something does need to be done. Thank you for stopping by and for your insightful comments. ♥

      Delete
  5. Kathy, I agree with you completely. There is just no rational, sensible reason for any private individual to own assault weapons. They are not sporting guns--they are for the purpose of killing people. Period. I would also advocate for a complete ban of them, but I'm afraid that will never happen as long as politicians depend on money from the NRA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, I don't think it is necessary either. Politicians should worry more about keeping people safe and taking the fear out of America. It is not enough for these politicians to express their condolences. They need to pass laws that matter. Enough is enough! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. Good job on this really emotional and frightening topic. I think somewhere in our minds, we are all afraid. We are very cautious and careful where we go and who is around us and we think of the possible assault that could happen. I find this very upsetting. I don't think outlawing guns is the answer simply because there are bazillions of them already out there, but what if ammunition was very expensive? What if ammunition for assault weapons, which I believe should be outlawed and confiscated, was thousands of dollars a box? What if selling it to an individual was punishable by 30 days in jail and $10,000 fine?
    Just thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, possibly but that isn't likely to happen either. Those that want guns and ammunition will always get them one way or another unless they are banned entirely. By buying a gun aren't you admitting that you have the intention to kill at some point, otherwise why have the gun in the first place? Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments.♥

      Delete
  7. $hit and get. Amen.

    We need better laws re: gun control.

    We need more education, resources, and support for the mentally ill and their families. Right now there are more barriers between regular mental health treatment and the mentally ill, than there are between the mentally ill and dangerous weapons.

    We need to be mindful of what our children are doing (violent video games) and how it may affect them. *Some* kids might be okay, just like some people can have a drink or two, or play a slot machine for an hour, and walk away. Others become addicted/obsessed. When you have a mentally ill kid with lack of empathy and problems connecting to people, it would seem to be common sense that to allow him to spend untold hours getting payoffs for pretending to blow people's heads off, is Not A Good Idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly, you and I are on the same page!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete