Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Hardest Job for Me


NaBloPoMo asks today:

“What do you think would be the hardest job for you to do?”


      I didn’t even have to think about this one!!  I could never ever do what my husband does, never in a million years!  He is an over the road truck driver who hauls flat bed loads.  Although I would love to see the countryside like he gets to I would absolutely HATE not being home for a month.  I would miss my family entirely too much.


        Another factor that would make me a bad candidate for truck driving is that I am completely hopeless at backing up a vehicle.  I can not back a small vehicle to save my life let alone an eighteen wheeler.  It freaks me out. I am the person that will park a mile away from where I am going so that I can pull through to a space that I can easily pull out of.  When I was learning how to drive my dad suggested I practice parallel parking in the driveway.  So I got in my car and prepared to back into the space that was between his Ranchero and my mom’s Mercury Marquis.  I backed up and took out the side of my dad’s Ranchero!  It was one of those “Oh $hit” moments I will never forget!  My dad came running out of the house waving his arms yelling for me to stop!  After that he didn’t think I needed to “practice” any more and eventually insisted that I park in the yard where I could easily turn around far away from his and my mom’s vehicles.  Eventually he had a turn around asphalted in the front yard of his house specifically for my benefit.  When I finally went to take the driving test for my license the driver’s examiner told me specifically what to do to guide my car and parallel park.  Because of this, I passed the test.  He must have sensed that I would never handle it on my own!



        Besides the fact that I don’t do reverse well, I realize there is a lot of hard work involved in hauling flatbed.  My husband has to climb up on loads taller than his truck and balance his a$$ on the wind in all kinds of weather while he tarps.  I could never do that!  I would be terrified I would fall.  While I used to climb around on the heavy machinery my dad hauled when I was a kid, that was a whole different ballgame compared to the steel or whatever that is stacked a mile high on his trailer.  Not only does he have to climb great heights and balance, he has to be able to hurl heavy tarps over the top of the load to the other side so he can tie them down.  I can just see me completely exhausting myself and never accomplishing that feat or spending the whole time gazing in horror at what I am expected to do and thinking to myself “You have got be $hitting me!”


        The last little tidbit which would rock my world if I was an over the road driver would be the paralyzing fear of getting lost and of being surrounded by traffic on every side.  I find that very claustrophobic.  I can do it, but I drive through big cities with a death grip on the wheel literally $hitting bricks alternating between praying and cussing.  While being the wife of a truck driver can be a lonely life, being a truck driver gone all the time would be much worse.  Just you and the road as the time passes and minutes turn into hours, days, and weeks.  It is a lonely life and not for everyone.  I would be so home sick!  While there are times when I would love to have a job and travel all over creation like my husband, I am much better off at home and out of trouble until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

 

16 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one. I have been on a few trips with my ex and it was fun, but not for a full time job! It was vacation for me.

    It takes a certain type to do the long haul and you and I aren't that type! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, like you I have been on a couple trips with my husband and while it was fun, I wouldn't want to be in the truck 24/7 like he is. It would drive me bat shit crazy and I would miss home. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. So funny, Kathy -I love your parking exploits! But I couldn't drive for a job, Iget so bored driving anything long distance. And long-distance in England is nothing compared with what your husband has to drive in America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, when I had to drive I really didn't mind it but I wouldn't want to do it all the time. I wouldn't want to deal with the traffic and the weather. And then there is the problem with me trying to back up, which is mandatory as a truck driver and that just rules me out! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. I couldn't do it either Kathy. Getting sleep when you can at all hours...driving at night, eating junk food, sleeping in a tiny bunk. Waiting around for a door, backing in, lumping the load yourself...I've gotten texts from him at Noon saying he's at his last stop and then at 3:30 telling me he's still waiting for a door. I'd go crazy. You have to know how to do a lot of repairs yourself, on the fly & in the dark or rain/snow. Worrying about other idiot drivers, the DOT, weigh stations. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I agree. It would be an awful hard life. I don't know how my husband does it. He seems to enjoy it though. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. I enjoy long road trips, and have to take them annually (driving from New York State to Wyoming, but would hate to do it for a living. I don't like driving my full-size pick-up where there's lots of traffic. I go to great lengths to avoid metropolitan areas when traveling. I can't imagine driving a huge truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny, that seems to be the general consensus. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. Yes. I would not even dream to do that nor do I have the skill to do so. When we go for road trips, my husband is the default driver. My job is to feed him if we are tight on time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journey of Life, my husband is the default driver too. He is more comfortable doing it and when I drive he is constantly criticizing my driving which makes me insane. It is just easier for all concerned to let him drive. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. I'm perfectly happy being on the office side of that job, thankyouverymuch! I work in the billing department of a trucking company. I have to give our drivers a lot of credit, since I hate driving my little car in traffic around here, I sure would NOT want to be in a truck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, it is not a job for everyone. It is a lifestyle for a very special person. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
    2. Off topic, but I have a question about something on your sidebar. Can you drop me an email? My address is in my profile. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Lisa, will do! Thanks for dropping by!♥

      Delete
  7. I don't even drive, Kathy, so I can empathize with what you shared. However, I think the fact that you appreciate just what goes into your husband's job is fantastic. I hope he reads this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne, my dad was an over the road truck driver and my husband has been one for most of our marriage. I have been around it all my life so I guess I do understand and appreciate what they went through and go through each day. I also have had the opportunity to go with them occasionally over the years and seen what goes on first hand. I read my husband every single post before I publish it and put it live. I always have. He always says "Send it!" and gives his approval on everything. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete