Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Date with Destiny

This week's Writer's Post Blog Hop host is Suzy at Someday Somewhere and the topic is Destiny.

 
      Have you ever had a date with destiny?  Sixteen years ago I was wishing my date with destiny would hurry up and arrive.  Truthfully, I was sick of waiting.  I decided at that point in my life to visit a local tarot card reader just for $hits and giggles to see if she had any clue about which direction my life was going to take.  I wanted to find someone to spend my forever with.  I wanted to get married and have kids.  I didn’t want anything out of the ordinary.  It is not like I wanted to fly to the moon or something equally preposterous.  I just wanted to be normal.  I was 28 years old and sick and tired of waiting for Mr. Wonderful to come along.  I was at the end of my rope. 

 

       The tarot card reader told me that a man was going to come into my life and that he was going to become a very important part of it.  He held the key to my destiny and I would meet him soon.  With little hope of actually happening on this mystery man I decided to take matters into my own hands and to pay a dating service to hook me up with a man.  With good faith, I passed out 500.00 and waited for Mr. Right to come along.  I knew that if he didn’t in this last ditch effort, then I was done.  I would happily surround myself with cats and become a hermit living out the rest of my days on top of a hill somewhere.  I had it all planned out.  That was my back up plan.  I was tired of screwing around and was ready for destiny to step in.  It was time to $hit or get off the pot.


 

 
   Matchmaker sent me a lot of duds.  There was one guy I met at a local Mexican restaurant that I knew as soon as I laid eyes on him that there was no way in hell he was the one.  I figured he could buy me dinner regardless and made sure I came off just as wild as I possibly could.  He was a CPA and looked it.  Needless to say, it was pretty obvious he never wanted to see me again and the feeling was mutual.  By the time I got the little piece of paper telling me the next man I was to meet would be a truck mechanic I had just about had it.  My views had become jaundiced.  By that point I was certain that anyone I would meet through the dating service was going to be a nightmare.   I felt drawn to his name and the piece of paper in spite of my misgivings considering my luck thus far.

 


        When he finally called me, we hit it off like a house on fire.  We talked on the phone all night long.  By then, he wanted to meet me.  I was afraid.  I was afraid that if he was that nice of a guy, he probably would have been scary as hell to look at.  I didn’t want to rush into it after all my other disappointments.  There had to be something wrong with him, so I put him off.  After he hung up saying he was going riding on his 4 wheeler, I had almost an instantaneous change of heart.  I had to meet him!!  I felt he was my destiny.  I waited all day and called him again that night.  It was after 9, but I was desperate to meet him and he agreed to come over immediately to see me.

 

       As soon as I opened the door and saw him, I knew he was my destiny.   He must have felt the same because within 3 months we were engaged and the rest is history.  He has been there to see me through the good, the bad, and life’s ups and downs.  He was my destiny then, and now two kids, and 16 years later he is still my destiny and always will be until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

46 comments:

  1. I love this story! It reminds me to one day share mine! This post was so funny and romantic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty Mom, you should!! I am so pleased you enjoyed my story. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. What a lovely destiny. I hope that the day my destiny comes face to face with me, I'll know just like you did. Thanks so much for sharing Kathy - glad I'm not the only one who gets a tarot reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy, it was almost surreal at the time. Once he showed up at my door, we have been together ever since. The tarot reading was freaky because she described him and told me what he worked as...a mechanic. Before I met him I even had a dream where I married a guy with the same name and then one day, there he was. Freaky and definitely destiny. I can't imagine life without him. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. Awesome way you told the story! What a great destiny to have! I am blessed to have been blessed twice and if you would have told me that when I was in my 20's I would have laughed...I married in my thirties, and then again in my forties. I tell young people all the time, there is no time frame. Love that you were proactive, and plenty of duds for me, but the rewards outweighed them big time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, I think we all have to go through the duds to appreciate the real thing when it is finally staring you in the face. I had only known my husband a little over a month when he presented me with a diamond promise ring for Christmas. Then on Valentines Day, he showed up with a dozen red roses, other presents, and a diamond engagement ring. Obviously, I said yes. I can not imagine ever finding anyone like him. He is one in a million. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. What a sweet story! I'm glad you found your happily ever after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, me too. He was worth the wait. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. I love this. You are not the first person I heard of who met their hubby after signing up with a dating service. I know at least four people, myself included. Maybe there is something about creating that kind of focus. Thanks for sharing your destiny story.
    Estelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estelle, I would never have believed that dating services worked if it hadn't happened to me. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. Love the quote you included about replacing fear of the unknown with curiousity - because you were curious rather than fearful - look at how it enriched your life. What a fun story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, my curiosity won out. I had to meet him that very night. All the other men I had met in public places. After talking to him all night long on the phone... I invited him right over to my house at almost 10 at night. I didn't want to wait one instant longer even though I was afraid I would be disappointed. I opened the door and my job dropped. He looked good, and he smelled even better and I was hooked! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. When you know, you know! What a wonderful love story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, and the best part about it was that it was true!! I am so pleased you enjoyed it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. It's amazing how many of us were just on the point of abandoning the search when the right relationship came along...I'm sure this means something!

    Nice story, thanks for sharing it.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. afterthekidsleave, I think that is true about just about anything. When you get to the end of your rope and are ready to give up, miracles happen just to prove to us that they can! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  9. Wow, what a beautiful story! I love it, I squealed a little bit when you realised he was the one!

    I hope I find my destiny too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loki-Lou, when you are at the point of throwing in the towel, Mr. Wonderful will waltz right into your life and knock you for a loop!! I hope you blog about the experience when it happens!!! I love your take on life in general. You will!! I just know it!! Thank you for stopping in to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. mglawler, amen!!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful happily ever after ending! Love when we get real life stories like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, me too!! Happily ever afters are the absolute best. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  12. I think when it's right, it's right, and you just know it. I am always a sucker for a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thefurflies.com, I agree with you completely on all counts! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  13. Sweet and funny! Future as a hermit cat woman all washed up at 28, I know funny now but not then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haralee, LOL I am so pleased you enjoyed my post. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  14. I love that destiny always comes through! Can't wait to hear more about life as a trucker's wife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois Alter Mark, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful heart warming story! Love always does find us when we least expect us. So happy for you and your trucker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home Place, I am happy we found each other every day of my life. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  16. Very cool story! I met my husband on an online dating site. It's amazing that we found each other because he truly is my soulmate. I'm glad you found happiness... and two kids to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. motherhoodismagic, that is really cool! I met my husband before the dating services were online. This one I actually went to an office and met with a lady that took my money and hooked me up. Then I was mailed little pieces of paper with the guys pertinent information on them. At that point you could expect them to be calling you. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  17. Glad to see you successfully met your husband on an online dating site. I've been there but no real keepers!
    Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walker, to clarify I used Matchmaker, but I went to one of their local offices at the time and dealt with real people. This was before online dating got big. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  18. I love Destiny. Well, I love Destiny when she's not being a nasty bitch and making $hit in my life happen. I love it when Destiny brings a wonderful man to your door and turns all your dreams into reality like she did for you. Destiny may be fickle, but when she's on, she's really on. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe, and destiny can be a nasty bitch more times than not. It is nice when she occasionally smiles on you. It doesn't happen often but when it does it is just the more special. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  19. So glad you didn't give up. Worth the wait, wasn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, he sure was! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  20. Yours is like a fairy tale that truly lived happily ever after. This is the kind of story everyone would love to hear over and over and over again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I am so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  21. Hmmm... I'm wondering if destiny had as much to do with it rather than the choice to take matters into your own hands after the tarot card reading? Makes you think...but regardless--you're happy and that is the important part!

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, after reading your take on this prompt I would say that it was probably my destiny. I was meant to meet him but it was my choices that determined the timing in my life. It is ironic that he and I lived fairly close and it makes me wonder if eventually if I hadn't done Matchmaker if our paths would have eventually crossed anyway. Who knows. I am just happy things turned out the way they did. I wouldn't trade him or our kids for the world. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  22. Destiny is so amazing to me. I'm never sure if I made things happen or they happened because they had to happen!

    Either way...I'm glad you found him because now you have those two miracles in your life AND what could possibly be better than that?

    wonderful story of destiny and how I met my husband! You rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I am too! I am so happy you enjoyed my story. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  23. You really took a big leap! I'm so glad it worked out for you two crazy kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NotaSupermom, me too! It was meant to be. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete