Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Kitchen Catastrophes

     Kitchen catastrophes happen to the best of us.  I will say before I begin that I have went a long time since breaking anything or dropping anything I just took out of the oven on the floor. I haven’t flooded the kitchen lately either.  I have been really good.  Life has rolled merrily along without any kind of calamity, until yesterday.

      Yesterday after seeing both kids off to school I went about making my usual diet breakfast of one poached egg, one piece of toast, and glass of orange juice.  Since my husband is gone more than he is not, I save all the papers our kids have done at school for him to see when he finally arrives on the scene.  Up until yesterday I kept those papers on the microwave next to the toaster.  I didn’t pay any never mind that the stacks of papers were a little close to the toaster, I just popped in my bread and went about my business.  Before long I noticed a burning smell. Confused by this, I went over to get my toast and realized to my horror that the pages closest to the toaster had been scorched.  Oh $hit and sunny Je$us!  There is nothing like starting the day by trying to burn down the house to get the ole heart pumping a little faster.  Needless to say the papers are in a different location now.




 


       The day progressed.  I spent most of it wrapping Christmas presents and am proud to say that little task is finished.  Life marched on and I did my thing.  It wasn’t until I was cooking supper when the real catastrophe happened.  I was standing at my stove turning the chicken I was cooking.  I had Brussels sprouts on the back burner.  Like so many times in the past, I placed a glass lid over the pan so that the water would come to a boil faster.  The glass lid had come with one of my deeper skillets.  Before I knew what hit the glass lid exploded into a million tiny glass pieces leaving only the metal ring that once housed the glass and the round handle.  It scared the living $hit out of me!  I had to dump the Brussels sprouts and clean all the glass off the stove before I could prepare a plan B of green beans.  I would have never dreamed that would have happened and I am sure I lost 10 years off my life from the experience.

         Who would have thought a lid manufactured for the sole purpose of covering a hot pan would explode and shatter like that?  I sure didn’t, not in my wildest dreams.  I guess you live and learn until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

12 comments:

  1. ok your kitchen story of exploding glass beats my worst ones. As to brussel sprouts, have you tried sauteing them with garlic and hearbs? Someone just turned me on to that and it's so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, LOL I have never tried that but it sounds fabulous to me!! Thanks for the tip!!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. Hope the school papers were mostly ok. As for the Brussle sprouts, you can have mine. I have tried them every which way and still can't seem to develop a taste for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey, Yes they just got a little scorched. I have always loved Brussel Sprouts for some reason. LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  3. Holy crap on a cracker!!! I can't believe that lid shattered!!! You are soooo lucky you didn't get cut. You might want to check with the manufacturer to see if they've had similar problems. Did you ever hear about the person that tried to sue Pop Tarts b/c they put one in their toaster, forgot about it and left for work, the PT got stuck and started a fire that burned down the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I didn't get hurt but it did scare the be Jesus out of me. It just shattered into a million pieces on the burner it was on. Got it all cleaned up. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  4. thank goodness no one was cut! my sister-in-law told me to make certain every dish, bowl, cup i put into the microwave SAYS it's microwave safe on the bottom of the dish. i don't know about you, but i have a few old dishes handed down in the family which are NOT microwave safe and they can explode and even damage the microwave.

    happy you weren't hurt!

    Happy Holidays, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Heart and 39 Love Songs, I didn't know about that. I think all of mine are microwave safe. The few things that I have that are old I wouldn't use in the microwave anyways like my mom's turkey platter. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  5. Wow....don't worry, though, I get my fair share of kitchen drama too. I was preparing pasta for dinner this evening and nearly got splattered by hot oil! Thanks for sharing, Kathy.


    Michelle
    http://www.gettingliter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, I am notorious for some major catastrophe. LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
    2. Kitchen catastrophes used to be very common when I was working. I'd start something and then start something in another room and pretty soon smell whatever I was cooking and moving on to plan B...these days, I stay in the kitchen! I have thrown away a number of blackened pans in my life!

      Delete
    3. Jo, LOL! My biggest thing is not catching it before the pan boils all over the stove. :P Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete