Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Teaching

          While I am no professional teacher I have enjoyed the experience of teaching my daughter how to crochet over the last couple of years.  I taught myself when I was a kid, and when my daughter decided she wanted to learn and enter her creation into the local county 4H fair,  I was ready, willing, and able to teach her.


           The first year in 4H I taught her the most basic stitches and she successfully made a pot holder for the fair.  I was so proud of her accomplishment which was made even sweeter when she won a blue ribbon for her efforts.    The idea is to complete a project that is a little more difficult each year than the previous. 





       Last year I taught her how to make a granny square.  She began her project in the fall and by fair time the following summer she had enough squares to assemble for an afghan that she now uses on her bed.  She chose the yarn and used her money to buy each ball as she finished a square.  As fair time drew nearer, I taught her how to join each square together and then how to crochet a border around the outer edge.  She worked very hard.  When the day of reckoning came at the county fair, I am proud to say my daughter’s afghan took an honor award.


            This year she is attempting a little more difficult pattern which she chose.  A couple of weeks ago she began another afghan for next summer’s fair in a beautiful shell pattern.   I love teaching my kids new things and sharing with them my passions from art and writing to cooking and crochet.  It is a little like instilling in each of them a small piece of me.  They will take that knowledge with them throughout their lives and perhaps teach their kids remembering me and the memories we made.  Every time they go away they will take a piece of me and what they learned until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are teaching her crafts. It's becoming a lost art as kids would rather play with electronics. Her afgan was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I agree and it is a pity. I was really proud of her dedication to complete it and now she uses it on her bed. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. Your babies will always have a piece of you for any number of reasons, but the memories you make teaching them a skill or sharing a common love, those are forever gifts.

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, it is fun and so special to spend time with them in this way. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. lovely. Since I'm a weaver, I"d bought my boys each a small loom and sometimes they sit down with them. But with girls sadly crafting maybe goes a bit furhter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, crafting is kind of a girl thing. Boys generally don't get into it much. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pieces. Sharing you love of making something is such a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rennata, It is and I love the finished projects! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed reading this post Kathy and agree with all the comments this morning. I also appreciated the image of the teaching acrostic at the end of the article. I copied it to my file, it's so worthwhile to remember. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I am so pleased you enjoyed my post. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. My grandmother taught me crocheting and in the 40 some years I've competely forgotten it...I regret that...it was fun bonding with her...I'm glad your doing it with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, my mom bought me a book on how to crochet and I taught myself. She always knitted, crocheted, sewed, and did applique and embroidery. She was multi talented and I wanted more than anything to be just like her. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. My gran tried to teach me how to knit when I was younger...I failed, epically! Now that she's gone I've taught myself how to knit and crochet, I love it! I really wish I'd paid more attention to her when she was trying to teach me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loki-Lou, that is so cool that you have those special memories!! I think the whole thing about knitting or crocheting is getting comfortable holding the yarn and needles or hooks. The rest follows along fairly easily. I love to crochet and I honestly should make more time for it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. Yay, another crocheter! I taught myself last year and I love it. Good for your daughter--I also try to take on something a little more challenging with each project. I still make mistakes, but it's all part of learning. I just started making granny squares this year, and I was surprised to find they were easier than I thought. So I hope to be making an afghan soon. Congratulations to your daughter and to you; you're having a great experience together that hopefully you'll enjoy for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ElaineLK, I have always enjoyed crocheting and the satisfaction that comes from completing a project. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete