Monday, February 4, 2013

My First Crush

Today I am challenged by NaBloPoMo to write about my first crush.

     While I was growing up I had endless crushes at one time or another.  The one that stands out in my mind was a boy that crossed my path when I was in 5th grade.  He was in the 6th grade and in my language arts class.  Since I was in the accelerated class for language arts I took my tote filled with my books and school supplies to his 6th grade classroom when it was time to have English, Spelling, and Reading.


      It didn’t take me long to notice him and once I did, I couldn’t take my eyes off of him.  I couldn’t stop smiling at him like a silly fool.  I couldn’t help myself for developing a love for the merry go round and playing there every single recess because he did also.  I never got much past saying hi to him and blushing beet red.  Occasionally we would say more to each other, but most of the time I simply turned red and he smiled at my embarrassment and went on with life.


       Back in elementary school roller skating parties were looked forward to.  Everyone who was anyone went to them and I made sure to always go and meet my friends there.  It didn’t matter that I couldn’t skate very well.  It was the height of social season in elementary school  and I went.  I couldn’t make both feet go.  I could only push with one and propel myself around the rink.  I couldn’t stop unless I ran into a wall or someone else.  I made no attempt at doing the hokey pokey on skates because merely moving without falling on my happy ass was a major accomplishment for me.  While everyone else rushed out on the floor to do the hokey pokey, I hurried off the floor to the seating area to wait the number out.



      To my complete shock Mr. Wonderful glided effortlessly into the seating area after me.  He rolled up to me and came to a perfect stop and smiled down at me.  “Would you consider skating with me during the moonlight skate?”  I looked up at him.  My mouth dropped open and my eyes bugged out of my head.  “Me?”  I stuttered.  My brain went into warp speed.  I mean does a bear shit in the woods.  “I would LOVE too!” I said without a moment’s hesitation.  I felt my face heat up and I am sure the smile I gave him could have lit the moon.  “Great!  I’ll see you then!”  With that, he skated away and I was left to stare in disbelief after him.

         Part of me thought I had dreamt this little rendezvous.  I mean what are the odds?  When the lights dimmed and the first bars of the Bee Gees “How Deep is Your Love” started to play I made my way to line up with the other girls along the wall for the moonlight skate.  Mr. Wonderful rolled up to me and held out his hand.  I looked into his eyes and took his hand and we glided out on the floor.  I remember feeling like I had soared to the moon.  I felt like Charlie Brown after he had kissed the little red haired girl in “its Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown.”   I was on cloud nine.  When the song ended, he squeezed my hand.  “Thank you for the skate.” he said.  I couldn’t find my voice and whispered “Oh, thank you!!”  He smiled again and skated away.  I melted, and then like any self respecting 11 year old I hand pumped the air and said “YES!”
 

          Before the last moonlight skate of the night he returned to me and explained that while he would like to skate with me again, he had promised someone else the last skate.  I nodded and watched him skate with a 6th grader.  It didn’t matter.  He had made my night.   We continued to be friends until he went off to junior high school the next year.  Shortly after that he moved away and I never saw or heard from him again.  I often wonder what ever happened to him.  All I know is that he blessed my life with a sweet memory until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s
wife.

18 comments:

  1. Aww this is so sweet---I love it!!! Brings back a lot of memories for me, too. And oh yes, I remember a few slow dances to that Bee Gee song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menopausal Mama, I am so pleased you enjoyed my post. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  2. I used to love going to the rolladium! I remember my dad got me the coolest rollerskates that lit up! :) And I remember plenty of of those moonlit skates.. Wow.. Great post, brings back so many innocent memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi,I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  3. So sweet. When I read your title "first crush" I honestly cannot remember who my first crush was. I mean, I can see his face, just can't remember his name. That's bad, I know. LOL

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I had to really think about this one. I think in elementary school I had a crush on just about everyone at one point or another. I was so fickle! LOL But...this guy really stood out in my memory. They say the mind is the first thing to go and some days...mine just went. LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  4. High school crushes, even if they never really last, become a significant experience for most young people. I guess that's what your post reminded me, an experience totally infantile though truly memorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, yes and now I am experiencing it all again through my kid's experiences. They have something that I never had though. Someone to give them advice! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! I am so pleased you enjoyed my post!

      Delete
  5. What a sweet story!!! And I say look him up on Facebook!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, you know I took your advice. I searched him on Face Book and I think I may have found him. Not sure though, the man he has become looks a little different than the boy with braces that I remember. LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow, had mostly girl crushes growing up because I was from an all gils' school. But certainly enjoyed my Mills and Boon. Thanks for sharing this sweet story, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  7. Ah, young love. What a sweet story, Kathy! This made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  8. What a sweet memory Kathy - the group I hung around with in early high school years often went roller skating. I too skated like you did! Thanks for bringing back some nice memories for me and a few of those wonderful "special" skates as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, so pleased you enjoyed my post and were able to take a stroll down memory lane as well. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  9. Oh what a sweet story. First crush is the best of all - I couldn't stop thinking of mine. thanks for sharing Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy, I don't know if this was my first one but it is certainly the one that sticks out in my mind the most! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete