Sunday, December 9, 2012

My First Car

      Every kid dreams of getting a car when they turn 16.  In that respect, I was no different.  I loathed the school bus and was eager to kiss that mode of transportation goodbye and say hello to independence and my own set of wheels.  Even before the ink was dry on my driver’s license my dad was out looking for a car for me to drive.


      He bought me a used 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.  It wasn’t exactly the coolest car in the world but it got me where I wanted to go.  I was thrilled to drive that car to and from school.  Back in those days it came in real handy since I was so busy with activities after school.  From after school practices with the cross country team to rehearsals for drama club productions, I was always coming or going. 


       After a while we realized the thing leaked power steering fluid.  I remember my Dad showing me exactly where to add more, how to check the oil, and just how much antifreeze was in the radiator.  I would have to carry power steering fluid with me every where I went so that when it got hard to turn the wheel all I had to do was pop the hood and add some.  It was a real pain in the a$$ but better than having no wheels at all.








       When I was accepted at Belmont University, my dad decided I needed a more dependable ride and bought me a 1984 Dodge Shelby Charger.  While I never developed any attachment to the Oldsmobile, I loved my Shelby Charger.  It was sweet and went like a bat out of hell.  I had more crazy adventures in that car than any other before or since.  One time on the way home from Belmont I was chased by a tornado.  I have basically had my head up my a$$ most of my life but that particular night I also managed to drive through the wrong set of cautionary cones at a Shell gas station and my car ended up straight up and down in a deep ditch that resembled a moat.  The car came out of that little episode with a scratch on the spoiler.  A couple weeks later someone actually stole that spoiler.  They ripped it right off the car with it sitting right in front of my parent’s house.  It was a win-win situation because I got a new spoiler out of the deal thanks to insurance.  The car finally met its maker one summer day when I was driving about 100 miles per hour on the interstate and a hose blew.  By the time the car came to a stop the block was cracked and ruined.  Ooops!  

        Many cars, trucks, and SUV’s have passed through my life since those first two.  While I cut my teeth driving that first Oldsmobile, it is the Dodge Shelby Charger that brings back the most memories of a time in my life when I was born to be wild and the world was my oyster until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.


14 comments:

  1. Such fun memories. I lived in NYC and never learned to drive until I was....38! I was married and moved to the burbs and needed to drive. UGH. I never had the need for a car or the expense etc. I now drive very local as my nerves never got used to it. I don't do highway driving either. Be glad you learned young! My first car my late hubby got me was a Toyota Corrolla and I loved it. It was used and perfect size for me. When he passed away I needed a new one as the old dear was giving me problems and hubby wasn't hear to fix it. I bought another Toyota Corrolla since it is all I knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, WOW that must have been quite an adjustment learning at that late stage in the game. I can see where you wouldn't have needed to living in the city. That is one thing I hate about my husband being gone a lot. If something goes haywire with the vehicles I am on my own, although he tries to tell me what to do by phone. I have had to learn a lot of stuff on a need to know basis. LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for sharing your story!! I am so pleased you enjoyed my memories! ♥

      Delete
  2. I was pretty attached to almost all my cars. My first was an 8 cylinder 1976 Monte Carlo that was my parents'. Sat 7 - 3 in front, 4 in back. My friends called it The Aircraft Carrier b/c of the long front end & they didn't know how I could see over the steering wheel b/c I'm so short. I'm currently very attached to my Elantra that will hit 100,000 miles any day now. I've been through so much with that car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I don't think I have ever been overly attached to any vehicle. I loved my Ford Probe and mourned turning it back in when the lease was up. The Dodge Shelby definitely brought the most memories back. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. You know, I have a friend who had a tan colored one of those Dodge spitfires. I have never really been attached to my cars. My first was a 1984 Chevy Cavalier. I did like the car-- I put about 100,000 miles on that thing between my junior year of high school and my freshman year of college when the thing bit the dust. Ironically, I never "went" anywhere with it, with the exception of driving it from Florida to Ohio to go to college. I probably have more memories of went on inside that car than (friends, etc.) than anything else!

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, you got a lot of mileage on that car for never going anywhere! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read, comment, and share your memories! ♥

      Delete
  4. wow that car was SOOOOoo cool you owned..and outran a TORNADO!!! WOW (and i love visiting your blog and seeing this SNOW!!) Dads are pretty cool aren't they! And WOW born to be wild song..i LOVED that hehe you wild woman you ((hugs)) loved this..and YOU your children are so fortunate (and that trucker man of yours) to have you in their lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drchoneydewcrm, I am so pleased you enjoyed my blog so much!! LOL Having my head up my ass in my younger days got me in some real sticky spots. They have made great stories to laugh about now though. My Dad was the best. I miss him so much! That was me...roaring down the road with the tunes cranked in my own little world. You are so kind. Thank you for stopping by to read and make my day with your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. This was a lot of fun to read! The memory of riding in a car with the windows rolled down and "Born To Be Wild" blaring on the radio....good times! Thank you for sharing this fun memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humor after 50, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. I can totally see you flying around in that hot blue number! Great story and memories like these can keep you young, ya know.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I had a hell of a time in that car! I always flew around with a death grip on the wheel. I always felt like I was taking off to the moon when I was in that car because it felt like it was going like a bat out of hell. I really loved it and was always sorry I blew that hose and blew it up. Oh well, I learned to slow my happy ass down!! LOLOLOL Amazing I never got a ticket in that car. LOL Thank you for stopping by and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. Badass! There's always that one car, isn't there? Yours was a pretty cool one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word Nerd, I am not sure I was a badass but I had a great time in that car. I came by it honestly because my Dad used to drag race and led the cops on an infamous high speed chase going about 100 mph back in the day. It made the front cover of the local newspaper and he got to spend the night in jail. LOL Thank you for stopping by and for your comments! ♥

      Delete