Sunday, December 16, 2012

One Song, One Thousand Memories- BFF 248


     Everyone has that one song that when they hear it produces an avalanche of poignant memories from the past.  Since this prompt was posted I have racked my brains for the one song that produced that reaction in me.  After much analyzing, I have finally chosen one.  With Christmas only a little over a week away it seems only fitting that I choose “Silent Night”.

       “Silent Night” was one of the first carols that I learned growing up.  Sure I loved “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” and “Frosty the Snowman” but it wasn’t till much later that I got the words memorized.  From grade school through my early twenties I was involved singing in a choir.  There was never a Christmas season that went by that singing “Silent Night” wasn’t on the agenda.  It was the song that the choir would file into auditoriums singing in the darkness while holding a single candle.  It was always so cool!!  Over the years my voice went from a first soprano to an alto and because my voice lowered in register as I aged I got to learn virtually all the female singing parts of this particular song.



 


       When my babies were born I always would rock them to sleep singing this song.  It was a song I can easily sing.  It seemed as appropriate as “Rock a Bye Baby” to use as a lullaby and I always did.  I would snuggle my precious bundle close and sing the melody of every single verse.

   


     It remains to this day to be the one song I don’t need sheet music to play on the piano.  I remember exactly how to play it and can play most of it from memory.  I would spend hours at my piano (when I had one), playing Christmas carols during the holiday season always beginning with “Silent Night” and finishing with “Silent Night”.  It is a song that brings me peace.  The year my Grandma died two days before Christmas, it was the song that would bring tears as it continued to soothe. 



         Just yesterday I was thrilled to hear my daughter play “Silent Night” perfectly on her acoustic guitar.  I found a free website online that had free tabs for just about every Christmas carol you could imagine.  Inspired she huddled over my laptop and played each and every one that caught her fancy until her fingertips hurt.  Then she copied down the tabs carefully to add to her growing library of songs she can effortlessly play.  As my life continues I am sure that the strains of “Silent Night” will continue to mark it and intertwine with my memories until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.


 

8 comments:

  1. I had no idea your daughter was such a serious musician! Did you teach her piano too? Do you two ever collaborate and play together?

    For me, the song I love is 'Christmas time is here' from Charlie Brown, or 'Linus and Lucy'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I would have if I still had my old piano. She is learning to play the guitar at school. She was so enthusiastic about it that we bought her a guitar for her birthday. She has been practicing songs and riffs ever since. She is really good. Can play the riff or song flawlessly after a couple tries. I like that song too. There are so many lovely Christmas songs that it was hard to choose just one. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. Christmas is such a beautiful season. It gives us a host of wonderful memories we can look back to and inspire us all over again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, that is so true!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. Yes, I can understand how you feel about this song. Silent Night is the one song that my mom and I bonded over. Specifically, it was the version by Stevie Nicks. Who knew my mom would like it, but she did. I guess she was a rocker at heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, cool!!!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. Oh Holy Night, my favorite. Mariah does it well, but so does Neil Diamond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, it is one of my favorites too. I love the Oak Ridge Boys version of this song as well but couldn't find a video of it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete