Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Barbecue Epiphany


   When I was growing up my Dad always was the master of the barbecue.  Every single time he came home off the road I would look forward to whatever he would prepare for us on the grill.  Whether it was hamburgers, chicken, or steak when it came to grilling, I knew that was my Dad’s domain.   I even remember it was always my Grandpa’s that ruled the barbecue grills in their households.  It was the way things were.  I accepted it.  I never aspired to learn how to grill food; I simply knew I wasn’t a guy so it wasn’t my thing to do.  Women did the cooking in the kitchen and the men took care of any barbecuing that needed done.


       It is hardly surprising that once I married my husband I accepted the fact that he was the one to grill food and I would handle any cooking done in the kitchen.  I have to admit when I was first married and setting up housekeeping I was completely clueless what to make for dinner or how much to prepare.  The weird thing was I would go to the grocery store and buy all the things my husband liked even though he wasn’t going to be around to eat it. 



       One Halloween my sister had made a huge batch of vegetable soup just like our mom used to make.  I honestly thought I had died and went to heaven.  She gave me a huge container of it to take home and asked me at the time “Why don’t you make a big pot of soup yourself if you love it so much?”  The answer was simple.  My husband didn’t like vegetable soup and hated carrots.  She seemed unimpressed.  I remember her saying “Hells Bells Kathy, as much as he is gone, why is stopping you from making some for yourself? I would make the things you like when he isn’t around and make what he likes when he is!”  That stuck with me, and I made up my mind I was going to do just that.  Believe me, I became an even happier person when I realized this small truth.




        Here I am, 44 years old having been married almost 15 years and guess what?  I am mastering the barbecue grill!  It has the added extra bonus of involving less mess in the kitchen and the beauty of not heating up the kitchen with the hot stove!  I am woman, see me roar!!  Can you possibly imagine how liberating it was for me to break the patterns of a lifetime and do something that I never imagined myself doing?  It is awesome!  I started on this new grilling adventure this summer and now, I grill every single night!!  Everything from chicken to pork chops to steaks experimenting with marinades and spicy rubs; I am having the time of my life and feeling like I conquered Everest!!  I can do it, and do it well.  It took me 44 years to accept the fact that I didn’t need a twig and giggle berries hanging between my legs to operate a barbecue grill!!


        Being a trucker’s wife, you end up taking on tasks you would never dream possible no matter how big or small simply because you don’t have a choice in the matter.  Sometimes you got to do what you have to do.  I had to either $hit or get off the pot and learn the hard way when everything went to hell.  I had to figure out how to do it myself, fix whatever was broken,  and basically figure out how to survive and get the job done on my own.   There is no one else that is going to do it for me.  It is up to me.  To most people grilling meat on a gas grill is small potatoes compared to some of the major accomplishments some folks take on and conquer.  As you can see, it doesn’t take much to make my day and believe me making edible food on the grill is right up there for me.  It reminds me I can soar and do anything I set my mind to if I just try until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.


18 comments:

  1. " It took me 44 years to accept the fact that I didn’t need a twig and giggle berries hanging between my legs to operate a barbecue grill!!"
    Cracking up here! That is a classic line, if ever I heard one.
    I am so glad you have mastered the grill, I love grilling, too. I let my roomy grill when we have parties because I have too much else to do, but otherwise it's my domain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, it has taken practice but the biggest thing is using the lowest possible setting so the flame is low and turning the meat ever couple minutes. It took a lot of trial and error. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments. So pleased you got a chuckle out of the ole twig and giggle berries! When you think about them that way they are kind of amusing.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your post. My hubby don't cook at all, but LOVES to grill. I try and work my way in to his domain, but he appears out of nowhere. Funny thing, I do the marinading, and all the prep. He grills..It is funny. I have ribs rubbed in the fridge for tomorrow night, and will make the sauce. I am glad you are grilling too. Funny thing..My hubby is allergic to tomatoes. I LOVE all things with tomato.. I now plan meals like homemade sauce when I know he will not be home...Much better than not having it at all....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, I agree with you! It is better having favorites without him than not at all. Somehow I always used to feel a little cheated. My husband turns green around the gills if anyone even mentions fish. That is another thing I will cook for me and the kids when he is off traipsing across the countryside making money. :D Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!

      Delete
  3. I grill. I love to grill!. Since my husband and I have been together, he has grilled one time. Because we were having a cookout and I was fixing other food in the kitchen.
    I used to wouldn't make anything if he didn't like it. Now, I make it for my lunch or I bake something and I get to eat it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, and that is the wonderful thing about it. You get the best stuff all to yourself! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  4. Love your blog so I thought I would share an award with you: http://www.lifecherries.com/2012/07/more-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bodacious, You are so kind! Thank you ! I am honored!!

      Delete
  5. My husband rarely has ever grilled The few barbecue picnics we've had have been a disaster; he would serve either burnt chicken or raw. So I would barbecue, and for some summers, before we got air conditioning I bbarbecued every night. Then the barbecue broke because we neglected to take care of it. But it was great; I would just wrap everything in aluminum foil and no dishes! You know about steaming veggies in alluminum foil right? Works great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, sure do!! I have even made hobo meals on the grill where I wrap up veggies and meat together in aluminum foil!! Yummy! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments.

      Delete
  6. I never did master the grill. Bought one this spring for my sweetie but as you know, he is also a trucker and isn't home much to use it. He's told me how to operate it (it's gas) but I am still to scared to try. Using the NuWave oven is just so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I have always been a little afraid to monkey with it too before. Now I am so glad I found the balls I needed to just go for it. Grilling is trial and error but with a little practice it is absolutely doable! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  7. I don't know what it is about men and barbecuing, but my husband is the head grill master too. I've grilled before, but it's more fun to let him do it.

    Mitchell is allergic to chicken. Yes, you read that right. I love chicken, so I'll cook some for me and make pasta as a side dish. He loves pasta, so everyone is happy.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, maybe men view barbecuing as more manly. "I'm going out to start the grill and set the backyard on fire! I am man!! King of my castle!" LOL Who knows? That is crazy that he is allergic to chicken!! At least you have found your way around that one so everybody is happy! :D Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. I didn't know you were from Elkhart! All those pics I shot from the car last year on our trip east. I wish we were doing it again...it was like a honeymoon for Russell & I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, yes except for a brief stint in Nashville, Tennessee and an 11 1/2 year stint when my husband and I got married I have lived in Elkhart all of my life. The 11 1/2 years we lived in a neighboring town. Your pictures are amazing and I am so pleased you shared them!! Thanks for stopping in! ♥

      Delete
  9. So glad you found this new found freedom Kathy. I'm surprised noone's asked...do you ever grill for hubby when he's home? Could be cool to strut your grill stuff for him! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, actually this is something I just started doing in the last week. He usually always grills when he is home and I usually make the rest of the meal inside. Sometimes I will season the meat, or marinade it, or make the sauce, but he always grills. That would be a novelty for him!! LOLOL The only problem with that is if I am too good he will decide I can do it all, and we can't have that!! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete