Friday, January 11, 2013

Getting in the Mood to Write



NaBloPoMo asks:

“How do you find the energy to write when you aren’t in the mood?”


     To be honest, I wing it.  Bull$hit goes a long way in creating a great post.  On those days when I have nothing to say I resort to the timeless alternative of a picture post.  It works, you know?  


 


      The biggest energy booster for me when I am not in the mood to write is to take the time to read other blogger’s posts and leave lots of comments.  Even answering all the lovely comments others leave me and responding to each one inspires me to write even more.  Even when I have no idea what I am going to say the words simply flow through my fingertips.  Simply reading posts is enough to inspire me to write my own.  Sometimes surfing you tube and rocking along to my favorite tunes is enough to inspire me to write.  I love music.  Lots of times it is a particular writing prompt that inspires that I can’t resist writing about.


      Whatever the case, writing and commenting is addictive and helps me immensely to put my thoughts into words.  It passes the time and it makes life more meaningful.  I try to never force a blog because then it will never begin to measure up to the quality that I expect and demand of myself.  After all, who wants to post a blog that sucks a$$ for the world to read?  If I am not happy with it, chances are everyone else in cyberspace will think it is horse $hit too.  


       I often am amused by my 12 year old daughter’s tendency to moan and groan when she is expected to complete a writing prompt at school.  I thrive on writing prompts.  I love giving my take on the topic and reading everyone else’s take as well.  If I am sapped of creative energy I sometimes just skip it and hope for better creative inspiration the next day.  A girl’s got to do what a girl’s got to do.  It is a rare day when I have no words to share.  Just like a chatty Kathy doll, I always have plenty to say until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.




21 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, Lately, writing has become secondary to....... I'm not sure what. I have plenty to say, but lack the energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danneromero, it is hard to get back to writing once you have taken a break. I think I do it for lack of anything else better to do. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  2. Although I've posted twice this week (that is a record lately!) I am with Daphne...writing is coming in second or third--to what--I don't know. I think in my case, there is something to be said for quality over quantity, I just post when I am feeling it. If I am not feeling it--I'm not posting!! My BS is too transparent...lol. Glad you're back in the swing of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, you are a very busy person and I am amazed you manage to post at all with your job, kids, and all those furry friends. Always love to read whatever you do post because it is always really good. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  3. blogging is my time out. ANd yes, love the writing prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I love the writing groups too but sometimes I just can't get in gear to write about a particular topic. I am so bad on weekends! LOL That is when I need the most motivation. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. The other night I was encouraged to do a series of blog posts about my experiences as a Deadhead. I went to bed and stayed awake for hours drafting the most brilliant posts ever in my head. The words flowed effortlessly. Unfortunately I woke up yesterday completely blank!!!!! So I have to go back to it and try and collect my thoughts. I now wish I'd just gotten up and typed it out instead of laying there wide awake!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I have been in that situation before. You have it all in your head and then you put it off and draw a complete blank. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. I love the banner on your blog, and your blog name. I'm currently writing a book that I've tentatively named The Truck Driver's Daughter, so of course the blog name caught my eye! Thanks for visiting. Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, that is so cool! I was a truck driver's daughter as well. :D Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. Hey Kathy -- I find that I can't force it with my writing. If I have no interest in the writing prompt then I just skip it. I really have to "feel" a post to write it. You're doing awesome, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Porchphilosophy, I can't force it if I don't like the writing prompt. I tend to skip it too. Either I know what to write or I don't. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. I never have problems getting into the mood to blog, but sometimes I don't feel like working on another novel that no one will read because of rejections. :(
    The best trick for getting into a writing mode for me is water via a shower or lap swimming.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, showers are the bomb but they usually relax me so much I just want to go to sleep. I think that is why I have never attempted to write a book. I am afraid of the rejections and seriously don't think I could write such a long piece. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. Ha! BS! I love it and completely agree. Thanks for the comment on the blog. I came back to reciprocate and found a hop. So thanks for the linky too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! BS is the key!! LOL ♥

      Delete
  9. I don't think writing for the sake of writing is necessarily a good idea. When you force yourself too much, it does tend to detract from the overall quality of the writing. But I do think that reading other's blogs and comments and perusing Youtube and other things like that really do help if your having a block and just need to gain some inspiration. I do that too every now and again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, when I have writer's block I just simply walk away from it for a while. Then I will come back and just start typing up any random thing that comes into my head. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  10. I've been out of the loop for awhile Kathy...haven't been concentrating on my blog, but on my other writing assignments instead. I hope to get back to it slowly but surely. I love reading your posts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on when you're not in the mood to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, If I was getting paid to write I would let the blogging go too. Money is money after all. It is supposed to be fun. When it ceases to be fun you need to walk away and take a break to enjoy a life so when you come back you are refreshed and have something to write about. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  11. Picture pots are great. I'm lucky if I run out of ideas or really can't be bothered I can alsway post a doggy photo - lots of fun and usually gets me writing anyway!

    ReplyDelete