Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Listen to Your Heart- BFF 229


     While I have learned throughout my life to listen to my heart or gut in most matters, yesterday I got the wake up call of my life.    For the past week I have not felt well and not been myself.  I went to the emergency room for one problem that I shall call George, and walked away with a much bigger problem to face and the answer to many problems that have plagued me for quite a while.

 
      My blood pressure was sky high and has been ever since.  I was put on blood pressure medication which has wrecked havoc on my system.  While it did lower my blood pressure some, it didn’t lower it enough so the chest pains, shortness of breath, and feeling of exhaustion went away.   While I was supposed to follow up with my doctor, I was not able to right away.  His office gave me the run around all week.  The lady answering the phone was a complete nightmare from hell and continuously hung up on me when I called in to find out what I should do and when the doctor would return.   My first reaction to that was anger.   Because of her, I put off going and my condition continued and got no better.

        I finally went yesterday in spite of her.  The doctor listened to my heart, and looking grave ordered an EKG.  Fortunately for me, I needed to go no further than right across the hall.  I donned a hospital gown with my cow udders in full view.  To think people pay money for b00bs like this!!  All I had to do was have a baby.  One minute I had next to no b00bs at all and the next cow udders which continue to sag south the older I got.     I refused to breast feed because I was sure if I did I would end up with cow udders and guess what?  I got them anyways.   The nurse attached all these sticky things with wires to my exposed chest and ankles and then printed out not one but two graphs showing just how my heart was ticking.  I was told to get dressed and the doctor would soon return.



        Instead of heading for the round swivel seat my doctor usually prefers, he surprised me by sitting down next to me with a sad look on his face and a deep heart felt sigh.  He explained that the EKG showed that my arteries were starting to fill and not only did I have to battle hypertension but heart disease as well.  I am just like my dad in this respect.  Not only did he battle heart disease having a couple massive heart attacks, he eventually died from a stroke.  Immediately some things became crystal clear.  I wasn’t suffering from migraines all summer; I was suffering from high blood pressure.  I was forgetful and three sandwiches short of a picnic because my blood pressure was high.   I felt my eyes grow damp as a single tear fell as I faced the reality of it all.

        I approached a pivotal moment in my life as he told me this was my wake up call.  If I proceeded on the same course I was on I was guaranteed that I would not be here.  I must lose weight he told me.  Panicked with despair I wailed in frustration “I have tried!!  I have even gone out walking with my kids!!  I have walked 5 miles!  I have tried to watch what I eat, but it so easy to just keep eating.  I simply can not lose weight!”  He looked sadly into my eyes and patted my leg again and informed me “You have no choice! You must lose weight, and you must do it through diet alone because your heart can not take walking 5 miles in the cold autumn air or any form of vigorous exercise.  You must or you will not be here.  This is your wake up call.  Seize it and change your path.  This is not a death sentence but a warning!”   He advised me to listen to my heart.  If I am tired or short of breath, I need to rest.  Above all, follow the diet to a tee.  He had lost 40 pounds already on this diet and I could too.  He upped my quantity of blood pressure pills per day and told me to come back in 2 weeks.

      I drove home with tears streaming down my face damning the fates that put me in this predicament, damning the hereditary tendency that made me susceptible, and damning myself for enjoying eating entirely too much.  I gazed at the diet sheet and bawled wondering how the hell I would survive on this little to eat.  G0d forbid some of this crap I didn’t even know what the hell it was!



     I started my new life today.  With diet sheet in hand I surveyed my cupboards and refrigerator and then made a beeline for the store determined to strictly follow the diet and its restrictions.  When I grow weary, I will rest.    I will follow my heart because if I don’t, it will beat no more until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.
        


14 comments:

  1. Kathy, you can do this! you have to for yourself and family. I wish you were here in Dallas and we could walk together. I need to lose weight myself for health problems. I am just downright lazy when i get home from work. Dont' cry my friend. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holli, I got through the first day on this crazy diet. I had to write down everything I was going to have for dinner and then go from there. I guess it worked out today. I will handle it somehow. I need to get used to eating so much less. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments. ♥

      Delete
  2. OK. Wow. This is definitely huge. But on the other hand, you could have so easily been sent right to the hospital for stents or an angioplasty. Focus on the fact that you have had a scare and it can be nipped in the bud now with a few lifestyle changes. I know what you mean about the inability to lose weight, despite trying to eat right and exercise. It's impossible for me too and heart disease and diabetes run in my family.

    As for stress reducers, since you can't exercise, you'll have to stay as calm as possible. Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff. You might wanna try meditation for relaxation. Deep breathing.

    If you have my email, I'd love to see that diet sheet he gave you because I'd like to change some eating habits as well. Thanks and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I don't have your email but if I did I would be happy to share this diet. It is 800 calories a day. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!! ♥

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Jo, thank you for the vote of confidence and for stopping in to read and for your kind comments.

      Delete
  4. Kathy you can do this and I will do this with you! I will be your buddy in getting healthy. :) Send me the "food plan" - I refuse to use that "D" word in my Facebook inbox or I can send you my email and we'll do this together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, thank you for the encouragement. I will send you the diet sheet. It sounds like a plan. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments and encouragement.

      Delete
  5. My heart goes out to you, dear friend. I know it stinks right now, but I know you can do this! You're one heck of a strong woman and you're gonna kick this thing in the butt! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, thank you so much for the encouragement. It is pretty daunting but hopefully doable. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments.

      Delete
  6. Kathy: It's queenbead@msn.com

    800 calories a day? Dayum. But at this point I'm willing to try anything....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many years ago, I dieted with a friend. We both lost all the weight that we wanted to lose and then some. We actually got too thin.... But you know how it is with young girls... Anyway, if you want some company, inbox that diet sheet to me on Facebook and I'll go right along with you. Maybe we could have a private group where we all weight in. There is nothing like a bit of competition and group support to keep us on the right path. I quit smoking 3 yrs, 8 months ago. I gained 30 pounds that I would love to take off, but I lack the motivation. We can motivate each other. Deal? I love you, dear friend. I want to see you around for a long, long time. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I leave a response when I like a article on a site or if I
    have something to contribute to the discussion. It is a result
    of the sincerness communicated in the article I looked at.
    And on this post "Listen to Your Heart- BFF 229".
    I was actually moved enough to drop a thought :) I do have
    a few questions for you if it's okay. Could it be simply me or does it look like like some of these responses look as if they are coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing at additional social sites, I'd like to keep up
    with everything new you have to post. Could you list every one
    of your shared sites like your twitter feed,
    Facebook page or linkedin profile?
    my webpage > effective weight loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, If you look along the right bar you will find links to follow me on twitter, my face book fan page, and to follow me on Google+. Thank you for your kind words!! On LinkedIn you will find me here....http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=152870910&trk=tab_pro. Thank you for your interest. ♥

      Delete