Thursday, October 20, 2011

Remembering the Tomatoes -BFF 132

     I can imagine my mom was as animated and full of fun when she was a little girl as she was later when she had grown up.  This picture always used to sit on the dresser of the upstairs bedroom of my Grandma's house and I was always fascinated with it.

     Often my Grandma told stories about some of my mother's antics when she was a little girl.  Whenever she didn't get her way, instead of crying and throwing a fit, she would smile and say "Well, maybe tomorrow I can!"

      In those days during World War 2, you didn't waste food under any circumstance.  You were expected to try everything, and if you put something on your plate, you had better plan on eating all of it.  The good L0rd was kind enough to bless you with food and you were reminded to be thankful.


      One story from my mother's childhood comes to mind when I look at the little girl in this picture.  One evening, the family had gathered around the table for the meal.  After saying prayers, the dishes were passed.  My mother was convinced she absolutely HATED tomatoes, even though she could never remember trying them in the past.  When the plate of tomatoes were passed to her she made a big production of taking several of the slices as her family looked on.  To everyone's surprise she then requested the dish of heavy whipping cream and proceeded to top those tomatoes with a generous helping.  Her Grandpa made a point of reminding little Edith that she needed to eat every single bite of those tomatoes knowing full well she had most likely ruined them with the whipping cream.  Everyone was silent as my mom geared up to take a bite.  As you can imagine, she discovered on that day that she liked tomatoes but they were a lot better without the whipping cream.  That night she ate every single bit, just as she was required washing it down with water and milk.

        After that day, my mom loved tomatoes as G0d intended raw and straight off the vine, or cooked in stews and sauces.  She never made the mistake again to top them with whipping cream, prefering instead a pince of salt or Italian dressing if in a salad.

        My mom often told this story when I was faced with an unfamiliar food on my plate.  Her best advice was to just try it and get it over with, then if it needed any doctoring up, then so be it!! My kids have also been regaled with the tales of the precocious little girl who grew up in the 1940's and 1950's so they can better understand what a fun loving person their Grandma was.  I am so thankful I have this picture of her and I will cherish it always!  It helps me remember, and keeps her spirit alive.  Until next time when I give  you a glimpse into the life of a trucker's wife.

16 comments:

  1. You have lovely stories of your mom's childhood to pass down--just wonderful!

    Which picture was of her? I was looking for her but perhaps not here? Just curious because I have a love of old photos!

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, sorry!! LOL I put this blog up at the library and got a few blocks away before I realized I had forgot my mom's picture which was the whole point of the blog!! Geesh!! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your Mom with us. She sounds like she was a delightful child, as I am sure she carried on long past childhood. I would bet that you are a chip off the block. I fell in love with your Mom as soon as she said "Well, maybe tomorrow I can!" Now, THAT is a positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to do the same thing that you're doing--introduce my mother to my children by sharing stories about her. While it's not nearly the same as having them be blessed with her actual presence, it truly does help them to know her.

    Your mom must have been a delightful little girl, and like Darlene said, I love her attitude! We should all be wise enough to look a life that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember eating lots of tomatoes as a kid. (Still like them.) But I don't remember having whipped cream on the table except for very special occasions. Love your mother's willingness to try tomatoes, especially in that combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, it was ketchup on pretty much everything, though not as much as my stepsister, who put it on ham! and in yogurt. (Plain, I assume.)

    Your mom looks like a darling and spunky little girl. I love the "maybe tomorrow I can" attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your mother's attitude, too. Instead of just ranting and raving, she just says, 'Well, maybe tomorrow I can." I'll always remember this. Think that is a beautiful picture and ---- see a similarity in you and your kids, Kathy. Thanks for sharing, I also like seeing the old pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darlene, people that knew her well say that I look a lot like her and act a lot like her. She was always very upbeat, even when facing death. She didn't want to hear about dying because she had no intention. There were so many times she would have near death experiences, and then bounce right back. One day she didn't and she was gone. Thank you for stopping in to read and for your kind comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Word Nerd, although it is not the same as having her with us, I have been determined to keep her memory alive for my kids. Through pictures and stories and simply by carrying on some of the crazy mannerisms and expressions I remember most about her. Thank you for stopping in to read and leave such a kind comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angela, we always had tomatoes in the refrigerator and on the table like you did...minus the whipped creams. That was a lesson she learned the first time and carried through her life and passed on. Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beverly, thank you for stopping in to read and comment. For me, it is french dressing. I like that on lots of stuff. :D Ketchup too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Betty, thank you for stopping in to read and comment. I am so pleased you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy, I've found another similarity in our lives again. You commented that people said you looked and acted like your mother. And --- that's exactly what people say about me and my precious mother who passed away 2-1/2 years ago. My husband keeps pointing out when my actions remind him of her. And when I look in the mirror, I keep seeing my mother.

    But, our temperaments/personalities are quite different than you and your mother. She was a school teacher and very precise in her actions. She knew others would be copying her and making sure she was doing right in the way she talked, etc. But, when she thought something was funny --- she laughed wholeheartedly, you can be sure.

    My Dad was a very happy, go lucky person that really balanced out our home. I have a truly wonderful family heritage!!! But, my Dad died much too early, I was only nineteen. So, he's the one that my children, husband and grandchildren never got to meet. I have to keep his picture prominent in our home and talk about him. He loved life and never met a stranger, if you know what I mean. He truly loved his family and talked about us with everyone he met.

    Thanks for letting me reminisce and take up this room on your page. I so appreciate your writing as you say, a great family blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Betty, I love when you stop by and share your stories and the fact that my blogs inspire you to do so. People say I get my looks from my mom, but I think my personality is a mixture of both my parents. Thanks for stopping in to share and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Humor after 50, I am so pleased you enjoyed it!! Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete