Thursday, March 1, 2012

Uncertainty


   




       How do I feel about uncertainty??  Honestly, I hate it. It scares the living be Je$us out of me and makes me want to hunt for a paper bag, hyperventilate, and have a heart to heart talk aloud with myself.  I quickly feel the need to find a bathroom.  To say I become a tad mental is an understatement.


         I am not comfortable being uncertain.  I want to know that when I send my kids to school they are going to do their best and do well in the process.  If they do not do well, I want to know WHY. I want to know how I can reverse the tides and not only help them do better, but help them to succeed.  I will admit that I don’t like surprises.  For example, I don’t deal well with my kid bringing home papers plastered with smiley faces and lavish praise, being told to my face by the teacher that my kid knows his stuff, and then be hit with a midterm report informing me that all of a sudden my kid is not currently meeting grade-level expectations and that now the ball is in my court to insure he practices all the areas listed. Holy crap where did that come from?  I know that I have the tendency to walk through life with my head blissfully stuck up my a$$, but come on there were no warning signs!! At the point when realization occurs, I tend to hyperventilate and lose my freaking mind, and demand a parent teacher conference in a state of panic.


        I rushed to the nearest store and bought up sight word flash cards, a workbook to help strengthen the areas the teacher sited needed work, and searched the internet for possible websites offering free activities designed to give him the practice he needs.  I went ape $hit on my kid declaring we are going to work on this stuff till he knows it or else.   Yes, I did go a little berserk.  At the same time, I feel like crying wondering how I could possibly not know he was struggling.  It was almost like a scene from “Chicken Little” with me running around screaming that the sky is falling!!!!  




            As you can see, uncertainty tends to make me mental.  For those that have the loony bin on speed dial on my behalf, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I have taken control of the situation. I have remembered finally to breathe.  I have scheduled a parent teacher conference to get to the bottom of this, and I am prepared to do everything that is earthly possible to help my kid succeed.  Why, because deep down I don’t deal well with uncertainty.  I don’t deal well with people rocking the boat.  I have to have some level of control over destiny.  


        Rest assured, I have plenty of toilet paper in stock, so even if diarrhea overtakes me, I am covered.  I have the little pills in the house that magically puts a cork in my a$$ so there will be no worries.  I will try to quit blaming myself for my little darling’s lapse in the class room.  Who knew it would be so HARD being a parent?   I will breathe in and out and I will face this uncertainty head on and I don’t even need a mini tape recorder to remind me that I can grab a bull by its balls. I can sneak up to that bull and grab his balls before he even knows what hits him, yes I can!!   


        All I really want is for my kids to succeed and be happy in life.  Is that to much to ask??  I am in control.  Sometimes you just have to say a little prayer and hope for the best.   Even though I am terrified of the unknown, I can and will walk in there cool, calm and collected and face uncertainty and the unknown head on.  I know that G0d goes with me, so even though I am weighed down with the uncertainty of knowing exactly what to say, I will be OK  until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.





13 comments:

  1. Being a parent has its moments--no doubt--I'm sure most parents would agree with that. At least you remembered to breathe!!!

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, it is a good thing too or I would be blue about now and toe up on the floor. Breathing is a wonderful way to calm down. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!

      Delete
  2. LOL! As a mom of two boys I have certainly had those moments that you just described! Somehow though we all survived without any acts of homicide involved! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, it is a wonder how parents do survive things with their kids. There are sure moments when you think you aren't going to. The best time is when you realize, it really was not as big as a deal as you once thought. Thank goodness for that!! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!!

      Delete
  3. I laughed my Butt off reading this excerpt from your latest challenge in life. Like Jenn said, parenting can be tough and you don't always see things coming. I too am not good with uncertainty but have learned as I've gotten older that I do not have control over much-God does and it has actually made my anxiety decrease. I am glad to hear your going for a little chat with the teacher because it seems weird that all the sudden your child is having issues. Lastly, don't be too hard on yourself about not knowing and give yourself a big hug and don't forget to breathe. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, things are never as bad as I blow them up to be. I am so pleased you enjoyed reading my post and got so much enjoyment out of it. The little chat did me the world of good. Thank you for stopping by, reading, and for your kind words of encouragement!

      Delete
  4. Breathing is important! In and out. In and out. Good job. The whole smiley face, gold star, Good Job! leading to doomsday conferences with the face to face meetings, used to drive me nutz as well. My son was an ace at homework, but apparently he didn't test so well. No one would inform me of any difficulties until, yep, we're gonna probably have to hold him back this year. I'd say, "No, probably we aren't. We are probably going to try to find a minute to let me know how he's doing and if testing is the only problem, then let's work on how to fix that." I was very assertive with the authorities who didn't know my kids.

    Hard to believe, huh? lol

    Anyway, he grew up to be a Navy veteran and now a Clear Channel Radio Advertising Executive. He's doing very well and manages to "test" at more than passing grades. He's in sales and leading other sales reps and sales is testing daily.

    Relax, Kathy...they'll grow up just fine with the example they live under every day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, breathing is good and very calming. It sounds like your son turned out just fine. After the conference I am sure mine will too. You have to go to bat for your kids, otherwise the powers that be will pigeon hole them into a certain classification, convince your kid that he's stupid, and the kid will refuse to try because of it. Good for you to force them to help him solve his problem. That is what they are getting paid to do. To educate!! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment. Your words of wisdom and support always make me feel better. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your candid comments.

      Delete
  5. I think when they send parents home with their new babies, hospitals should hand the moms a little certificate that welcomes them to the never-ending roller coaster ride, since knowingly or not, that's what they just signed up for. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word Nerd, a lovely users manual would have been appreciated greatly as well. The certificate is also a nice touch. It would have been nice to have had a guide all these years to consult on what to do if your kid does this or that. When to worry, and when to laugh it off. It is a roller coaster of emotion, but I wouldn't trade either of my kids for the world. I would never go back and not have had them. They are worth it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments.

      Delete
  6. Kathy this post made me laugh and start singing "Memories.. Light the corner of my mind.." Lol.. I raised my 4 kids, alone, no welfare, no child support, thankfully ONE fantastic job.. And I SO remember those stupid school reports.. Everything's great one semester or half of a semester and then WHAM! The teacher takes her deceptive lit'l star and nails it to the middle of your forehead telling you that your once exceptional student is now headed for a repeat or lost credit or whatever. - Know this. YOU.WILL.GET.THRU.THIS. - Like your bloggee pal Jo, my children also went on to be happy, loving, intelligent, successful members of society and we now laugh at those then, oh so stressful moments in time.. I'd def. trade those lit'l stresses for some of the ones I have now!

    So weird that you found me. I too was a trucker's wife. :) My husband is now retired and we are, for the most part, empty nesters.. In between college breaks anyway. We have 2 boys that take up temporary residency in our home, wreaking havoc and bringing joy as only our lit'l spawns can do. ; )

    Thank you for stopping by. I am officially now stalking you and I look forward to catching up on some of your posts and reading the new ones to come. :)

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, those school reports can really throw a parent for a royal loop. His teacher reassured me that he was doing better than fine. The evaluations that reflected what showed on the midterm were conducted right after Christmas break. Since then, he has learned what he needs to know. If anything he needs to work on conveying his thoughts on paper through words and pictures. So big huge sigh of relief. I will still work with him, and make him practice all the other stuff, but he is doing well now. Things like this just throw me for a royal loop. I can sure identify with you and am equally glad that fate brought us together. Thank you for stalking me, and I will be returning the favor! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

      Delete
  7. Okay, deep breath. When you get to meet with the teacher adopt a casual, slightly aloof air. If she throws you for a loop and you start to panic, just raise a brow and watch her face as you take a moment to formulate your answer. Let her squirm. Er, this was advice I gave to new blackjack players, but what the hell, it outta work. :)

    ReplyDelete