Thursday, September 15, 2011

Late Night Escapade

      I was sound asleep. Somewhere in my dream a song was playing!!   The only problem was, I wasn’t dreaming. I opened up one eye to the darkness.  Slowly coming awake I realized my cell phone was ringing!  Only one human on the planet would have the balls to call me in the center of the night to wake me from a sound sleep.  After all, who else in their right mind that I know would be awake??

      I hauled myself out of bed and scurried over to the dresser where my phone lay charging.  It WAS my husband!! Evidently the truck stop parking lot had been full to overflowing and he needed a shower…BAD.  OK.  My foggy brain tried to formulate just how that pertained to me.  He would be passing by near the house in a couple of hours and planned on stopping to take a shower. Would I please pick him up at the local Meijer parking lot??  Yeah, sure! I can do that.  He would call me when he was close.  My brain quickly did the math. I had a couple hours to sleep till that call came.  Cool.  I collapsed into bed and was quickly back to sleep.


       It seemed as if only minutes had passed and the phone was ringing again.  I switched on the light and answered the phone.  It was time. Time to grab some sweat pants, shoes, and a coat and be moving right along!!  The night was dark, silent, …and cold.  Holy hell!  If I wasn’t awake before, I was now!!   I hurried to my blazer, cranked the heat, and headed for the local Meijer minutes from our house.  There the purple people eater sat under the lights waiting.  As soon as I zoomed up, my smiling husband grabbed his duffle bag, and got into the SUV.  A kiss later, we were home.   He showered,  and I whipped up something easy.  His favorite, mashed potatoes smothered with ketchup washed down with ice tea  which brought another smile to his face.

        Before I knew what had hit, I had delivered him back to his truck and I was  back home crawling into my warm, cozy bed once again.  Sometimes when you are a trucker’s wife, you have to be ready at a moment’s notice.  Ready to jump in the blazer and snatch your better half up for a few stolen moments  and then the road beckons again.  His appreciation was evident, otherwise I wouldn’t be so quick to leave my warm toasty bed for a late night escapade.  Who am I kidding?? Sure I would!!  For better or for worse, I love him,  and that is the kind of girl I am.  I am always up for an adventure.   Besides, I am a firm believer in washing a dirty a$$ when needed especially somewhere where you don’t have to pay for the pleasure!    Until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you enjoyed the excursion!! Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, yes...I like surprises like that! It is always nice to see him. Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I ever tell you that I was a trucker's daughter? Well, I know this routine. Once my Dad had a rather long layover in Orlando. I lived 90 miles south of Orlando then. My husband and I drove to Orlando in the middle of the night just to bring my Dad home for less than 24 hours! That was way before I lived here and knew nothing about Orlando, relying only on directions written hastily in the night! When I got to the creamery (he hauled milk), I found him asleep on top of some pallets. LOL...yes, I know... I did it for my Dad and, if I had married a trucker, I would do it for my husband too.

    I enjoyed reading this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, I enjoyed reading this since my husband was a trucker -- you're great!!! I've traveled 45 miles to a truck stop, have dinner with my hubby and spend the night with him in his truck. BTW, did your kids stay in bed for this escapade?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darlene, I didn't know that your dad was a trucker! My dad was an over the road trucker his whole life. He was a retired teamster, so I guess I am used to the lifestyle. I am so pleased that you enjoyed my post! Thank you for stopping by, reading, and sharing your stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty, Thank you for stopping by to read and comment. I always enjoy hearing your stories. Yes the kids slept through the whole thing and never knew Daddy had been here! LOL For the cherry on top, he is back for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I'm glad he's going to be around this weekend so you can make more memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betty, me too!! Going to celebrate his birthday this weekend. :D Thanks for stopping back in to comment.

    ReplyDelete