Monday, September 12, 2011

Time of My Life

     Time is a valuable commodity.   If you want it to pass quickly, it ticks by slowly.  If you want time to stop so you can savor a moment, you are out of luck.  Once it is gone there is no getting it back.   Sometimes I wonder why anyone would want to rush time.  A person tends to the younger you are.  I can’t wait to get to 16, so I can drive!!  I can’t wait to get to 21,  so I can drink and go to the bar!!  I constantly encourage my kids to savor their youth because it passes so quickly.  

     Once you get past 21, the exuberance begins to fade and the years start to speed up.  After a while, it is just another year that has passed.  Another year older, another year wiser and no worse for wear.  Another year to mellow, another year to up the level of pi$$ and vinegar in the old attitude.

        Who doesn’t wish they could have more time?  More time with that loved one that has passed away?  More time to finish a special project? More time in the day?  What a shock to the system to see loved ones laying lifeless in a casket who only moments before were laughing, loving, living, and breathing along side us!    I remember thinking that time would surely stop without my parents in my life.  To my shock, it didn’t.  My heart broke, but I survived because I had no choice.  Time marched on without them in it.  


      I wish I could freeze time so my kids could be little forever.  Unfortunately that isn’t possible either.   Only yesterday they were sweet babies in my arms and now they are off at school more days than they are not filling their minds with the knowledge they will need to get through life. 


         Every time my husband comes home it seems the time goes so quickly.  There is never enough time to be together or do everything that needs done.  I hate to see him go and  can’t wait until his return.  My life revolves around when he will come home and when school is in session.   Get the kids on the bus!!  Get the kids off the bus!!  Get the dogs out before they create Lake Michigan on the kitchen floor or deposit goody goody gum drops under the television!

         It seems only yesterday I married the love of my life.  Somehow time has passed.  We both look a little older and a little wiser.  We both have faced life’s sorrows and bitter disappointments and our faces have lost the shining optimism we once  felt  when we embarked on our life together.  We have lived in two homes, had two kids, lost family members to death’s unyielding grip, struggled, celebrated, and triumphed.  We are still standing here today, together regardless of life’s adversity.

           If anything, I have learned over the years to make the best of the time I have.  I live each day as if it were my last because it very well could be.   I remember those I have lost with melancholy and wish often they were still here.  I long for how it used to be.  Time waits for no one.  It has never waited for me.  The Bible says all of our days are numbered and each of our lives have purpose.  So I will continue on doing the best I can with what I have.  I will find happiness where I can.  I will treasure the happy times laced with giggles, smiles, and tenderness.  I will  persevere and survive the bad because I don‘t have a choice.  

      When the time comes for my life to end, I will know I have done everything possible to have made the most of the life given me.  I will have persevered and triumphed.   Really that is all anyone can hope for.  I will leave this earth knowing I truly have had the time of my life.  Until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

14 comments:

  1. It does go by way too quickly after 21, doesn't it? It always amazes me how people are such in a hurry for just 30 seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Storm, you can say that again!! I was no different!! I got into a bar with a fake ID long before I reached 21, but there was still the liquor stores to explore. I found out I wasn't missing much there! LOL Just the skin magazines!!! LOL Time does move swiftly! Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A year seems to be forever when you're a child, but somehow the older you get, the faster those years go by. Often I'll think or talk about something that happened 'about 2 years ago' but then when I stop and work it out, I find it's more likely to be 5 or 6 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, I know, time is so crazy! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I popped in from Glen's 'Glen's life' blog, and I am glad I did. Great post about time .... and never a truer word was written!

    I am now following you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the attitude that shines through in your posts, Kathy. Big hugs :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie, thank you for popping by to read and comment!! I am so pleased you enjoyed my post! Thank you for your kind words and for your follow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mojo, thank you for stopping in to read and your kind comments! Big hugs right back at you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post on Time Kathy--all we can do is make the most of the moments we have been given--so in the end we can look back and say, "I had the time of my life." Loved your take. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful write Kathy!!! I love your take on this. It is so true all of the things you mentioned above. All we can do is get up everyday with a positive attitude and keep pushing forward. Keep smiling and keep making us all laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenn, thank you for stopping by to read and comment! I completely believe that each of us must make the best of what life we are given and be happy with it. So pleased you liked my take on "time"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, the best thing about getting up every day is that it is a new day, fresh and sparkling with no mistakes in it. I am so pleased you liked my post and that you got a laugh and a smile from it!! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Divalounger, well said!! Thank you for stopping in to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete