Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Calzone

As a special treat, occasionally I will make a home made Calzone for supper.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Pizza Dough

1 package of yeast
1 Cup warm water
1 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
2 3/4 to 3 1/4 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast in warm water.  Stir in sugar, oil, salt, and I cup of flour.  Beat ingredients until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost double, about 30 minutes.

1 can tomato sauce
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 clove garlic, crushed

Mix the above ingredients together to make the sauce.  Prepare pizza pan by spraying with non stick spray.  Roll dough out into big circle and place on pizza pan.  

1 pound hamburger or Italian sausage browned and crumbled
1 onion chopped
pepperoni slices
mushrooms sliced
1 green pepper chopped
mozzarella cheese

Arrange your choice of pizza toppings on half the circle of dough.  When finished, fold dough over to make one large Calzone.  Seal the dough by pinching with fingertips.

Beat one egg and brush across the dough.  Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.  Slice and serve!

Bon Appetit'!




10 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. Reading all these Tasty Tuesday posts is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Langley!! Good way to add a few extra pounds! LOL Thanks for stopping in to check out my recipe and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also getting hungry just reading all these posts, Kathy. I especially enjoyed this recipe for calzones. It was a favorite around here when our daughters were teenagers. I'm glad you posted it and revived my memories of cooking for teenagers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty, my whole family loves this recipe. You should make it for you and your husband reviving those memories! Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I want some! Now I want to make one - a smaller one - soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darlene, the best thing about this is you can adjust this to suit you with the toppings you crave. Thanks for stopping in to check out my recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks yummy!

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2011/09/wordless-wednesday-when-art-visits.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Calzones, but have never made them myself. I definitely have to try this! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce, it is yummy!!! Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Theresa, now you have the perfect excuse to try to make them from scratch! Thank you for stopping in to check out my recipe for the week!

    ReplyDelete