Thursday, September 29, 2011

Navigating Road Blocks with Faith

     Road blocks are part of life. Two steps forward, three steps back. Sometimes it seems like the detours take you so far out of the way you don’t even recognize the path you were on when you finally get back to it because everything has changed. Even the most perfectly laid plans can be destroyed in an instance. In the blink of an eye…someone dies, a job is lost, a job is found, and everything can change.

      I used to scoff at the people that I would encounter when I made my sporadic visits to church. You know the ones. They jump up in front of everyone and give testimony about how the L0rd spoke to them personally. “Look at me! Look at me!“ One person went so far as to say G0d told them to do cartwheels in church.  For a long time I was doubtful and cynical. In my opinion they just wanted attention…period. G0d had never wasted His precious time on me…he had bigger fish to fry. That was my opinion then.

      One Thanksgiving morning I went to the grocery store to get a newspaper. I managed to fall flat on my face in the parking lot tearing my favorite pants. Unfortunately, from that day on I experienced pain in my leg that became progressively worse. It got to a point where I had moments of paralysis and pain. I spent months running to doctors and therapists finally finding myself with back surgery looming. With pain a constant companion, I buried myself between the covers of my Bible. I withdrew into myself and had a heart to heart with G0d. I put the whole situation into His capable hands praying for the strength to get me through it and be able to take care of my children in the aftermath. If I never walked again, so be it. I just wanted the strength to survive and persevere through whatever I needed to.

 


     It seemed I was destined for back surgery and I fretted about how I was going to handle life alone once my husband went back on the road. When it was time for my pre-op appointment, I returned to the surgeon. After examining me he sat down and took my hand. He looked me straight in the eye and told me I no longer needed surgery with a smile that lit up the whole room. The herniated disk and pinched nerve had miraculously healed themselves. He had no other explanations on how this could have occurred. I cried the whole way home thanking G0d for healing me. It was the first time in my life I really knew G0d was present for me. He has been an obvious presence ever since. Not just a force that took my parents from me, but an almighty presence that watches over me, helps me, and does provide in all ways. Even when writer’s block rears its nasty head, He provides the words and they flow.

      Since that time, my faith has grown to overwhelming proportions. Prayers are answered. Lessons are learned. Roadblocks are overcome. Strength is given. I may not have a lot, but I have all I need. Amazingly enough, I get it now. I have faith, and I believe. Until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome blog, Kathy. God is still in the miracle business. I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlene, thank you for stopping in to comment!! Isn't it wonderful to believe??? I am so happy you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your testimony! God is good all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had that surgery once. The second time I herniated a disk, my body also healed itself. At least that's what the doctor said. I credit my magnetic copper bracelet that hasn't been off my wrist since I injured myself in the 2006 Memphis Half Marathon. Maybe G-d intervened by sending another person to tell me about this miraculous bracelet!

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2011/09/writers-post-road-block-to-donuts.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, thank you for dropping by. I never thought I would have a testimony to share. Once you do have an obvious instance of G0d working in your life, you never forget it. Since then I can honestly say I see his hand in just about everything. Maybe my mind and heart are more open to it now than it used to be. And yes He is good all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing what G-d can and will do--if we seek him in prayer.

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that point--"if we seek him in prayer."

    :) Nice thought for the day.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenn, thank you for stopping by to read and comment. He is amazing in deed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, thank you for stopping in to read and comment. I am so pleased that you enjoyed my post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post Kathy!! I walk in faith and grace everyday. While I am far from perfect, time alone with the Lord always fills me anew. I accepted the Lord as my Savior as a young child and have seen many prayers answered throughout my lifetime. God is still able to answer our prayers. He is the same today, tomorrow, and always. In our times of good and bad, he is still able and willing to listen to our prayers. Walk in faith each day my friend and keep looking up in your times of need. God is everywhere if we only will seek him. Bless you my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, thank you for stopping in to read, comment, and for your beautifully kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, you never know. G0d works in mysterious ways!! Thank you for stopping in to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was another beautiful post, Kathy!! And, just as Mary said, it is a good thing to walk in faith and grace everyday. I, too, accepted the Lord as my Savior as a young child and have seen many prayers answered throughout my lifetime. G0d is still able to answer our prayers and He is everywhere if we will only seek Him. Again, just as Mary said, spending time alone with the Lord gives me new strength and the faith to keep going. Can't live without that personal relationship with the Lord!

    Thank you, Kathy, for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Betty, thank you so much for stopping in to read and comment!! I have always believed. It just took for something extreme to happen to me, that I specifically put in His hands and prayed about, and a miracle to transpire for me to really believe that He was always with me and working daily in my life. Before I knew He was about, but I always kind of figured He was to busy with more important things to worry about my problems. This made me a believer that I mattered to Him. I had faith. I asked for strength, not for healing, just for the strength to handle whatever came my way...and He healed me.

    ReplyDelete