Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sweet Serenity Alongside the Road

     When I was a senior in high school I got this screw ball notion that I had to have a letters man jacket.   Never having been the athletic type,  that left me in a real dilemma since only athletes ever acquired this coveted item.  Since I was about the farthest thing from the athletic type as you could get, there really weren’t to many sports that I could even attempt without making a complete a$$ of myself.  Some how I managed to keep up with the girls cross country team and earned a jacket that still hangs in my closet to this day.  Even though I came in last place in every race, I was proud that I finished.
 
      Every day the team was required to run 6-8 miles for practice.  I often found myself left behind by the pack.  One other girl was in the same boat as I was, and we struggled along together.  Along  quiet winding roads we raced with the air peppered only with the sounds of our feet pounding the pavement and our labored breathing breaking up the serenity of the landscape.  

      One time while running we came across a group of cyclists racing along the same road.  They were outfitted in professional gear and quickly sped past us as we made our way back to the school.  I remember wishing I was on one of the fast moving bicycles with the air blowing in my face  instead of running along on my own power sweating like a stuck pig.   I also remember jumping off the road into the ditch, so sure I was that they would hit me as they passed.  I discovered in those moments how truly fast I could run and how drenched a person could become from traffic splashing mud on you as they sped past.  


          Still even the best memories were soon ruined with the reality of the situation.  On one such occasion, I arrived back at the school resembling a drowned rat with mud splashed high up on my legs.  The over exertion must have affected my brain, because instead of stopping in the locker room to dry off and clean up like a normal person, I burst into the gym looking like I was from outer space to the amusement of the volleyball team who barely looked like they ever broke a sweat or had a hair out of place.  Needless to say, I beat a hasty retreat to the locker room to the sound of laughter and the irritating snickers of everyone in the gym. 

        Instead of reveling in my attempts at fitness, I often found myself wondering about the possibility that I would die along side the very road I was running on in a big sweaty heap.  I had learned my lesson well, and the moment of insanity for glory  passed as soon as I had my letter men jacket in my hot little hands.  Looking back on the whole thing now, I wonder why I thought a letters man jacket was so important.  In hindsight, if I would have continued to run,  the middle aged spread might not have taken it’s toil quite so viciously.  Until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.
     

12 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kathy, for sharing more memories of schooldays. It certainly is fun to run or hike in the serenity of flowing breezes. Even if it's exhausting, it's invigorating for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty, thank you for stopping in to read and comment!! It was exhausting for sure, and a brisk hike is more to my liking these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I giggled a little. When I was a teen, I was like the last person picked by team captains. I couldn't hit a ball, I couldn't run, I wasn't too bad with volleyball, but that didn't redeem me in the eyes of the athletic kids. *sigh* I am destined to be soft and fluffy.....

    Love this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at young you!

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love to run. I also did cross country, indoor track (Winter) and spring track for many years.

    I ran up until I was 4 months prego with #1. My body still rebelled...so you can just rest assured that you stopped at the perfect time...because if the mid life spread is going to catch up with you--it will do just that. LOLOL. What??? I like that excuse :) Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darlene, thank you for stopping by to read and comment. *sigh* I am destined to be soft and fluffy too. On the upside, I didn't have to pay some fool to give me artificial curves. I got mine honestly! LOL Sadly, I don't think my sacrifice of self inflicted torture redeemed me either. I was always last picked too. Thank Sunny Je$u$ we don't spend our life in high school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, Ah yes, young me! Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenn, Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!!From my observation it seems like that middle age spread gets everybody eventually. Having kids seems to help it right along! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Kathy!!! That is a cute picture of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, thank you for stopping by to read and comment!! Yep, that picture wasn't too bad. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't (and am not now) an athlete, either. The only thing that saved me from being picked last in P.E. class was that I had a boatoad of friends and for some reason, they were willing to overlook my complete lack of coordination.

    As far as the letterman's jacket, I always wanted one, too. I occasionally had use of one--depending on the boyfriend of the moment--but never earned one of my own.

    You know, my high school is only about twenty minutes from where I live now. I'll bet they still have those cool jackets at the same store where they were sold a gazillion years ago when I was a student. Maybe for Christmas, I'll ask for one of those jackets!! I'd really still like to have one! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Word Nerd, thank you for stopping in to read and comment. I was always picked last in PE and I hated it. The big thing about the jacket that I noticed is that once you graduate, it really doesn't matter much if you have one or not. Now a new Notre Dame jacket that actually fits me...I could go for that and would love to have one!!!

    ReplyDelete